Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DAM Ezekiel, Urso Splinter, Frantone Lo-Tone Classic

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sako, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    DAM Ezekiel, Urso Splinter, Frantone Lo-Tone Classic

I've read about the Frantone a fair bit on this forum, but haven't heard too much about the DAM Ezekiel or the Urso Splinter. Anyone have experience with these? Can anyone compare them? I'm looking for a fuzz, but since I wouldn't be using it that much, it'd be nice to have one with a bit of versatility. Also, the blend knob on the DAM looks very appealing! That's one thing I didn't like about the Big Muff Pi, my lows just went away (although a looper with a blend pot is a consideration). Thoughts? Sound clips?

2. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    Try sending Toasted a PM about the Ezekiel. I believe (though I may be wrong) that the original prototype of this pedal was built for him.

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I have a Frantone Lo Tone coming in early next week. I'll give you a quick review.

As for fuzz, Effector 13 has some nice sounding clips of their products in the Pedalgeek.com page. I liked the Krackle Fuzz

SeanM has mp3s of his Torn's Peaker in action. Since he gave it to me in PM, I'll let him make the call if he wants to share. It rocks though :bassist:

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The DAM Ezekiel is really a pedal with differing flavours of distortion, not fuzz. I thought it did a decent amount of things fairly well, but none of them amazingly well. Never tried the Urso, but I've never really been happy with anything that purports to be fuzz / distortion / overdrive.
    My advice, if you want fuzz get a dedicated fuzz pedal.

5. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Geeth: Yes, I'll PM Toasted. I did read an old thread of his on the DAM.

Syciprider: Keep me posted on the Frantone. The Effector 13 pedals sound VERY interesting. Although they may be just on the outer edge of what I'm looking for. But who knows.

Mr. Wilson: The sound clips on the DAM site are really close to what I'm looking for. If I misclassified it as a fuzz -- my bad. As far as one pedal doing a lot of different things, yes, reluctantly, I agree with you. That's why multieffect units didn't work out with me before. But damn, it sure would be nice!

I play in a three man band (Johnny Winter, Stevie Ray, Jon Spencer-ish type of music). I think the key for me is to have either a serious low end or use a blend pot to keep some of the clean signal in place while having grit/distortion/fuzz on top, especially when the guitarist is soloing.

One thought I had would be to have a pedal, let's say a Big Muff, with an expression pedal hooked up to it that acts as a blend pot. All the way back is clean bass signal. All the way forward is 100% Muff. That would be absolute heaven. Anyone done this?

6. John C. Reilly

John C. Reilly

Feb 24, 2004
    you need to check out the prescription electronics depthcharge. it's supposedly a copy of the maestro bass brassmaster fuzz, but i thought theblack cat was better at that nasal ocatve up tone. the depthcharge has a blend knob for adding your clean bass sound in with the fuzz. it has the meatiest thick full bodied fuzz i have heard. i had/have most od the bass overdrives/fuzz pedals out there liek the dredgetone angler,wooly mammoth,black cat,bjfe blueberry,trex,lotone,barber deepfryer,big muff, orig rat and the fulltone. my favorites are the lo-tone for a warm mild fuzz,black cat for nasty nasal fuzz and the depth charge for full bodied fuzz.