1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Damage Control Womanizer

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Swift713, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I tried out a Damage Control Womanizer today. I haven't seen anything here about these pedals so I figured I'd report my findings.
    It's got 2 tubes with 2 gain stages, a single knob compressor, bass & treble(post drive), parametric mid(pre drive), one level and one drive knob. This is a very expensive guitar pedal. It works OK for bass if you turn the bass up around 1 or 2 o'clock. The mid was interesting if you're into scooping or humping. My ear always seems to gravitate toward what I think is natural (flat). The compressor just increases the volume (but not the drive, must be post) but doesn't sound like a compressor at all. There doesn't seem to be any way to adjust the second gain stage, it's just on or off. I got a pretty mild overdrive from the first stage which I liked well enough but felt I could get for half the price from a English Muff'n, LPB 2ube or DHA VT1 plus some. The difference between the 2 stages was pretty big, leaving a lot of territory uncovered that I would have wanted to use. I could have probably found more sounds in there by turning down the first stage but then it would sort of defeat the purpose of having 2 stages if I have to reset the first to get a second OD that I like. Maybe it's worth the price for guitar but for my money that EHX tube pre is a much nicer, more transparent OD. Oh, and I hate the name.
    So, that's my humble report FWIW.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Humble is better than no report! Thanks for that.

3. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    thanks for the review! the Womanizer sounds great on guitar. i tried it for a few minutes with bass and wasn't too impressed. but on guitar... nice!!!
    http://[malware url removed].net/vicious-smiley-1815.gif

4. TheDialog

TheDialog Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    A friend of mine told me he loved using it on bass and he has a really nasty nasty tone...I ordered one today...it was used for $95...really cheap for it I thought. I'll see what it's like when it gets here. I can always return it.