Damage from low tension?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Grizz2k, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Grizz2k

Grizz2k

Jun 19, 2020
    Can low tension (~130 lbs) do damage to a bass that was built for ~200 lbs of tension?

Context:
    I was browsing Facebook marketplace as usual last night when I came across a Mexican Jazz bass for sale. Maple fretboard, black on black, case included - $300. Seems like a steal. I looked into it and it had just been posted less than an hour before. I messaged the seller suspiciously - long story short, he was in a band before COVID and gave up playing bass. I drove out, screwdriver in hand, to meet him - removed the neck to verify it was real, paid, and chatted for a bit before I headed home. He explained that he was playing metalcore in Drop A tuning with a 130.
    This morning I checked it out a bit more thoroughly. Verified authenticity again - real, and a 2015/2016 model. Played surprisingly comfortably but I'm used to cheaper basses. The strings felt.. wrong. Got the calipers out and that's where the *** started.
    I had tuned it to BEAD to demo and make sure everything worked ... But it was strung 105, 85, 85, 65. There was an extra 105, a 45, and a 65 loose in the case with the trash from a D'addario 45-135 5-string pack and a 65-130 Ernie Ball pack. Removed the second 85, moved the 65, strung the 45 up, and tuned it to standard with 45-105. Thing is - I really enjoyed the slack while I was demoing. I play bass and guitar equally and I'm used to a tele with 9s. I wouldn't put the old strings back the way they were but I'm wondering if a 55-110 set tuned to BEAD would do any damage to the trussrod. I understand most guys want more tension than this - but I'm really only concerned with potential damage.

2. No it won’t damage the bass to downtune. Just to a setup to get it working and you will be fine.

3. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Suspended Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    When you drop tuning, you lower tension. No bands guitars have ever had a problem with this.

tindrum and Grizz2k like this.
  4. gigetto

gigetto

Sep 25, 2019
    Italy
    No damage for downtuning.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022