Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

damage to fretless

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by pbass1, May 12, 2005.

1. pbass1

pbass1

Dec 8, 2004
    i have a question about strings for a fretless...i just got a rouge fretless about 4 weeks ago...and i got roundwounds on it....i've noticed that there is some damage to the fretboard(little gowges in the fretboard or white lines...)....is this a side effects of round wounds on a fretless??? is there any strings that are better for fret;ess necks...?

2. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Yes, flatwounds!

Nickel strings are also said to cause less wear than stainless steel strings.

3. pbass1

pbass1

Dec 8, 2004
    i saw some GHS flatwounds...are they good??

do they sound/feel like roundwounds??

4. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    i would recomend rotosounds true bass black nylon seires they have such a sweet tone they mad my peice of crap sound almost like a fender plus there really smooth

5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    No - flatwounds typically have a different tone and very different feel. There are, however, halfwounds, groundwounds and others that serve as "happy mediums".

I prefer flatwounds on fretless, even on basses whose fretboards are super durable. I like being able to slide without chewing up my fingers and I also actually prefer the more mellow tone. I also like flats on a Precision, but that's another topic.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    metal against wood... the wood will always loose! No matter flat, round or between. (frets wear out with time too)

couple things you can do to reduce the wear is to only do vibrato with th elength of the string (mwahs better anyway) and not play sooo hard with your left hand (one on fingerboard)

Also, the little lines you see is "scoring". Even an epoxy coated board will score with rounds

7. If you want the roundwound tone, try coated strings like elixirs. Very expensive but they last.

8. S Lewis

S Lewis

May 23, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    listen, i have that same Rogue fretless, and i had the same problem

those white lines are not the neck gouging away, thats just the strings rubbing away a bit of the ebanol from the neck..there is no real wear going on at all

i would still put on some flatwounds though..i did, and my neck is still smooth after nearly two hard years of gigging and whatnot, even though it looks slightly worn from a couple feet away