Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Damage to hair?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, May 20, 2003.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    Is dying hair in anyway damaging? cuz i've dyed my hair everytime i've had my hair cut for the past couple years and i was wondering...does it have any long term effects?

bp13

2. Bleaching hair can cause it to fall out.

3. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    so dying is ok?

bp13

4. Given that most dyes require you to bleach your hair, no.

Give the dyeing a rest for a six-month period every two or three years--that's what most women who do it do, IIRC.

5. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I think what all the guys here are forgetting is that for the most part, we get their hair cut shorter and more often that girls. You're replacing your dyed hair more often, so it doesnt have a chance to die or fall out or whatever. However, I doubt it's good for your scalp to expose it to dye and bleach over an extended period of time.

6. That's what I was trying to get at. Hair follicles can be delicate things.

7. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i don't bleach it...i just dye it black

bp13

8. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    Having black (or a brown very very close to black) hair is both a blessing and a curse, since I love its color natually, but if I ever wanted to dye it, I'd have to bleach it, which I'd rather not do. I'd probably dye it blood red, then let it grow out. That would look kickass.

9. To show your Profound Anger with the world, right?

10. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    no...cuz its PuNk RaWk:rolleyes:

bp13

11. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I used to bleach mine. Then one day I pulled off my motorbike helmet and half my scalp came with it. The bleach had caused a blood blister, the helmet made it burst, and it dried up to glue my head and helmet togther. I had no idea till I pulled up for fuel and OUCHHHHH!

Going darker isn't nearly as dramatic. It can make your hair a bit dry but that's about as bad as it will get.

12. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I knew a girl in high school who bleached her hair five times to get it to be white. Her hair turned to crap and it took her a good year to get it back to normal. It didn't all fall out, but you could tell her hair was kind of thin and really damaged.

13. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Let's not start that suicide discussion up again...

14. Well, since guys tend to have shorter hair...the oils needed from the scalp to take care or the hair is more there.

But, changing hair color does hurt hair. Just make sure to ask the beauty supply place what to use on top of it for a conditioner and when. I've had my hair dyed/bleached/combo for about 4 years now. Either blonde tips on top of choclate brown hair, or bleached out then dyed jet super duper black.

Just gotta be a little cautious. You'll be fine.

BTW, do go to a beauty supply house instead of just anywhere. They have better stuff that's less likely to destroy your head.

15. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Dying is not nearly as bad as bleaching. But, contrary to some opinions, it will not cause your hair to fall out, break off, but not fall out. The biggest danger is the chemical burns from the bleach. Get a professional opinion.

Mike