Damage to my bass [HELP!]

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Wes, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Wes

Jun 18, 2005
    Hey, today when I just finished practising I noticed that the metal panel on my bass where the lead goes to the amp was slightly lose. So I got out my trusty screw driver to screw one of the screws [on the panel] back into the wood. But to my horror it just kept turning, the wood on the bass where the screw is has, just, worn away?

I'm not sure exactly, but it won't hold it in. So now my panel is lose and I'm too scared that it's going to fall off or something.

What should I do?

Can the small places that sell/repair guitars fix this?

If not what should I do? The only thing I can think of is using some sort of wood filler or super glue to hold it in.

Thanks in advance.
  2. What I did to my Squier's strap button holes - toothpicks. Just drop half a toothpick in there and it'll give the screw something to hold on to. Works pretty well.
  3. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    the toothpick trick would probably work fine. another thing that would work is to get a drill and dowel of the same diameter, drill the whole, fill it with glue, plug in the dowel, then drill a new hole for the screw into the dowel and be done with it. Little more technical but probably more perminant, dont worry though, its not a hard fix, happens with strap peg screws all the time.
  4. kegbarnacle

Nov 18, 2003
  5. Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    The toothpick trick is the the easiest way. Take a couple of toothpicks and dip them into some wood glue then cram them into the hole and wipe up the excess glue. When it dries, cut the toothpicks flush with the hole and screw your screw in.
  6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Toothpicks usually do the trick unless the screw hole is tragically close to the control cavity and the hole has splintered into the control cavity itself. You can feed toothpicks into it 'til next Sunday and the durn screw still won't hold. I've actually had to glue a reinforcement in the cavity to correct the break-through.
  7. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Another vote for using a toothpick...only I use a bit of Elmer's glue on the toothpick before I stick it in the hole. That way, if you ever pull the screw, the toothpick stays put (the Elmer's lets go of the metal screw easily).
  8. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    For screwholes, I really like matchsticks, perfect size. Jam it in a screw hole, break it off, and screw the screw back in.

I would avoid the wood putty at all cost, it's not really that solid, and will come looser much quicker than a piece of wood in there.
  9. Wes

Jun 18, 2005
    wow thanks for all the great help.

I'm going to take it to my local muasic shop and see if they'll do it. Because, to be frank, I don't trsut myself not to make a big mess of it.

Thanks for all the help guys! :)
  10. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005

WHAT??? *** do you even own the screwdriver for, then? Dude. Stick a friggin toothpick in the hole, and shove the screw back in, tighten. It's no big.

You take this somewhere, and they'll see you coming down fifth avenue, and charge accordingly.