1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Damage to preamp caused by phantom power coming off of mixing board?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by adastreetgang, Apr 13, 2009.

1. I just bought a Dean Hammerhead four string. I was so proud of it at the store! (I'm just learning to play and on a tight budget). It sounded great at the store but then I took it home and plugged it into my Carvin 12 channel mixing board. It was sounding good through the speakers but then the volume started to fade and the sound became distorted... then 'poof', nothing!

I ran back to the store and they plugged it in and sure enough, nothing!

So, on the way back home I was thinking, "hmmm... I had the phantom power switch engaged on the console... could the voltage coming out of the input on the board have fried the preamp in the bass?"

I googled and googled to find an answer but couldn't so came to this forum to see if anyone might have an answer. I'm supposed to pick up a replacement bass this afternoon and don't want to make the same mistake if I was indeed the one who caused it.

Thanks so much for any light anyone can shed on the subject.

Regards,
    Albert

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i think phantom power can only come up XLR connections, so it's not likely. did you check the battery?

3. +1 to above.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yep. Make sure you have a brand new battery in your bass. I can imagine some rare/bizarre instances where phantom power could pass along the two-connector cable connecting the bass to the mixer, but they would be rare and bizarre. :D

5. These days the rare and bizarre are almost normals now!

6. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Straaaaaange
    Days
    Are call-ing...

StrangeDays.

7. Thanks to all for your thoughts. The battery was the first thought but that didn't seem to be the problem after checking/replacing. Then we pulled the back plate off the rig and fished around in the wires for loose connections/soldering issues but all seemed ok as well. The whole mess of wires from the three pots and pickup go into a harness that plugs into the 'black box' (preamp) which is where I reckon the problem is. Am picking up the new one tonight and wishing for better luck. Thanks again to you all. I'm convinced the phantom power now probably wasn't the issue. I'm attaching a pic of the rig. I know it's not much but it's all I've got :)

Attached Files:

8. Its a cool looking bass, but to get on the serious topic (i know how this kinda stuff can feel happened with my computer in a different scenario) it probably was your pre amp because my dads old bass did that for some strange reason when he plugged into a rig like yours. if thats not it, i'm totally out of ideas.. Good luck though!

9. Thanks so much. I'll report back in a week or so: either with a :) or a :(