1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

damaged 18V adaptor question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Juniorkimbrough, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    hey guys, the cable on my 18V adaptor on my EQ pedal has broken almost in half and I need a new one. I ordered one from musicians friend but they took two days to process the order and then shipped it via USPS so I have no tracking info and don't know when it will be here and I really need it for my gigs this weekend, starting tonight. Two questions for you guys......

1. Will a regular 18V adaptor from Radio Shack work okay on my pedal?

2. Someone told me a 9V adaptor will work fine but the LED's on the pedal won't come on...I have a hard time believing this but I don't know much about this stuff so I thought I'd ask to see what you guys say.

Thanks so much!

2. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Probably. You have to be sure (a) the polarity of the plug is correct, (b) the size of the plug is correct, and (c) the amperage provided by the adapter is not less than the amount drawn by the pedal. Also a regulated power supply is far, far preferable to an unregulated one.

That will depend on the specific pedal. With some 18V pedals a 9V will work "just well enough" to get you through a gig, with others it won't. Also odds are more likely that the LEDs would light up, but you'd get no effect sound. LEDs don't take much voltage.

3. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    What EQ pedal are we talking about here? If it's 18VDC, I'm assuming it's the MXR 10-Band EQ. Please be sure to tell us if it's not, because the information below may not apply.

Not just any adapter will do... whatever you get, aim for these specs:

18VDC
    Regulated supply (this is important, unless you want noise issues among other things!)
    As much or more current available than your current adapter (look for the mA value)
    2.5mm barrel on the plug (if it really is the MXR 10-Band EQ)
    Plug must be center-negative (again, if it's the MXR)

Someone on this board was running one of these not too long ago on 9VDC... generally, if a pedal doesn't get enough voltage, some features (or the entire pedal) may cease to work. It shouldn't do any damage, though.

4. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    that's what I was thinking bongo, i didn't think the LED's really required that much power.

Mystic, yes it's the MXR 10 band EQ.....sorry for not clarifying in my original post.

5. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    no luck, went to radio shack and none of theirs said whether they were regulated or non-regulated.

Think i'm gonna try a 9V power supply if it won't harm it........I've got three gigs in a row starting tonight.

6. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Is there a GC or other big music store in your area? They might have the 18 for you.

7. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    used a 9V at the gig last night and it did the job. weird thing though, the 9V wouldn't work when I ran the pedal through my effects loop on my Sansamp RBI, it would only work when ran through the input.

anyways, thank goodness the USPS just delivered my 18V adapter 10 minutes ago.

8. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Just cut the cable, strip the wires, twist them together and insulate them with electrical tape. Should get you by until the new one comes.

Nevermind.

9. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    just a little bit more info in case anyone searches for this in the future.....

talked to a tech guy at Dunlop who manufactures MXR, he says a 9V will work just fine.....the LED's won't light up as bright and the boost/cut isn't as much as it would be with a 18V adaptor. good to know for future situations.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021