Damaged cab...what would you do?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jaswine85, May 11, 2003.

1. Alright well i got this new Ampeg 1x15 off of Musicians Friend last thursday. It sounds great, its easy to transport, and i love it. Only problem is that it was slightly damaged in shipping. In the middle of the left side of the wooden frame theres a dent. The dent is about an inch long and a half inch deep. Do you guys think that this could cause the cab to be structurally unsound? Or do you think that had MF known about this they would have only just discounted it a few bucks? Should i return it? I really dont want to...i love it, heh. Thanks.
  2. If you bought it as being brand new--that it, it wasn't a second or a "scratch and dent" special, it's supposed to arrive at your house in brand new condition. The freight company pays for any damage they may have caused.

Call MF and explain the damage, they'll help you through the paperwork. Why start out with a damaged cabinet (though I doubt it's structurally damaged...but it must've taken a pretty good bashing).
  3. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I don't think it's gonna affect your cabs sound if that's what you're worried about. But Bills right, a new cab should arrive looking new. I'd complain to MF and if you wanna keep the cab, push for a discount.
  4. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    I had an Ashdown combo delivered by UPS.
    In transit they had managed to COMPLETELY break in half one side of the cab! (All that was holding it together was the carpeting!
    I got it returned at their expense and a replacement sent.
    Do the same! let Musicians Friend and the shipping company fight it out between them - not you!
  5. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Call MF immediately. It may not be too late for then to do a recall with UPS. Otherwise, you may have to pay shipping back to MF.
  6. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I bought a guitar case from MF a few months ago and it arrived with a huge cut in the top of it---where a packer/shipping dude must have accidently cut it. They discounted it a bunch and took off the shipping charges too. They don't want the thing back...in the end it's cheaper for them to let you keep it at a discount.
    I took a digital and offered to send it to them to prove what happened, but it never got to that point--they did the right thing.

good luck! You deserve a little off/no shipping.:cool:
  7. Did it do any structural damage? Probably not, I've seen guys playing Ampeg cabinets that frankly looked like they'd been left out in the rain and then run over by a truck and still sound fine. Should you return it for a new one because of cosmetic damage? That would depend on how badly I needed the cabinet. If you can deal with the inconvenience then try and return it for an undamaged one.
  8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    What you see is physical evidence that the entire cab suffered a significant blow, which could have had some impact on internal components. Personally, I'd not take the chance and I'd return it. If you've put it through the paces and made sure the voice coils are in alignment and the baskets are not bent or mis-shapen, then call them and try to get some kind of discount while keeping the cab.
  9. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Consider popping the grille off and removing the speaker. Look inside with a flashlight. If everything looks okay, I wouldn't sweat about structural damage. I had a pair of PA sub cabs that UPS did a number on...pulling the speaker out allowed me to verify that the internal bracing had been damaged. I returned them for a new pair. If there had been no structural damage, I would have opted for trying to get a discount from the vendor and leave things at that.