1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Damaged Combo Amp Enclosure

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by yahtzee!, Jun 8, 2007.

1. yahtzee!

yahtzee!

May 30, 2007
    So, I bought this rocktron rb20 off ebay and the enclosure was damaged in shipment, but the amp and speaker work fine. I need to get back to the seller and let him know what kind of refund I would like. I don't want to return the amp because it works fine and I'm happy with what I paid for it. So, anybody know how much it would cost to fix the enclosure which has a crack right through it and other cracks that stem from it?

Here are some pictures:
    http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u16/yahtzee05/IMG_5319.jpg
    http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u16/yahtzee05/IMG_5318.jpg
    http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u16/yahtzee05/IMG_5317.jpg

Thanks!

2. Ouch! I don't know what the repair will be but you should take it to a place for a written estimate anyway. The seller will go through the shipping service and get his lost money back so neither of you will be out any money.

GL

3. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    You could gut it out, build a new cab out of plywood. Shoot it w/ LineX, reinstall the guts (amp and speaker). Or send it back for a full refund.

4. If it was insured, collect the insurance from the carrier and use it to cover the cost to have a cab company build you a new case.

That case is toast... you could repair it but to get it structurally and cosemically sound, it will require a significant rebuild and you might be better off (and happier) with a new case.

5. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Monetarily, it would cost more to repair it than you paid for it in the first place.

6. LesS

LesS

Mar 3, 2006
    no longer a member
    If you dont care too much how it looks, I would get a partial refund and then just fix it yourself.
    Repair the cabinet using wood glue, then touch up the cracks with filler and black paint.
    The shipper could be partially to blame - when shipping particle board cabinets, you need to use bubble wrap and double-box it.

7. yahtzee!

yahtzee!

May 30, 2007
    Thanks for the replies. I don't really care how it looks, so I'm thinking a partial refund(it was definitely poorly packaged by the seller). I think I'll just try to fix it up or build another cabinet for it. The only problem is that I can't use the handle on the top because the particle board is disconnected, I'm not sure if wood glue in the cracks would hold it together enough, anyone have any ideas?

8. yahtzee!

yahtzee!

May 30, 2007
    so I got a partial refund for it, now I'm wondering how to fix it up. The wood glue idea and filler sounds like it would work, but right now I can't use the handle on top because the particle board is actually disconnected at the horizontal crack. I'm not sure if the wood glue would hold the enclosure together enough so that I could use the handle on top. Anyone have any thoughts on how to repair the enclosure and be able to use the handle on top safely?

9. LesS

LesS

Mar 3, 2006
    no longer a member
    Take the amplifier and the speaker out to make the cabinet easier to work on.
    Try to get the broken sections to line up better, when this done apply the glue.
    You will need to put something very heavy on top of the cabinet to hold the joints tight.
    Wood glue dries in 2 or 3 hours, but I would give it overnight.
    Once the initial problem is fixed, I would add extra bracing - such as wood blocks glued-in, and wood screws, preferably in places when they cannot be seen.
    You have to drill pilot holes for any screws - otherwise the particle board will crack.
    With extra bracing added, the enclosure will not be stressed or damaged by lifting it with the handle.

10. Well, since you want to salvage it, I'd cut the retire right panel side out. Using the left side as a pattern/template and cut it out of plywood. Bore the hole for the bolt and predrill holes at the ends of the panel and screw 'n' glue the panel back in. Take a file to contour the ends to blend and paint it black. You have $20 bucks into it and it's stronger than the rest of the cab.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021