Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Damaged picking hand? Need advice

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by LeftyLB70P, May 23, 2005.

1. LeftyLB70P

LeftyLB70P

May 4, 2005
    Athens, Ga.
    This weekend I ran into some trouble that scares me and I am looking for some input.

My band (typically) plays Fri. & Sat. nights most weekends in a month and the usual gig is about 4 hours (4 45-60min sets). While I occasionally get tired, this schedule has not caused me any trouble physically until this weekend.

Towards the end of our 2nd set on Friday night I started to feel some pain in the back of my picking hand. Now (I think this is related) I have been working on playing with a 3 finger technique and on a couple of songs I did use my 3rd finger agressively. My hand actually began to swell some that night: the swelling is right on the back of my hand, about halfway between my knuckles and the bones in my wrist, right were the tendons from my 2nd & 3rd fingers meet.

Sat. we played a private party and only played for 2 hours. I wore a wrist brace at the suggestion of my drummer who worried that it could be Carpal Tunnel Syndrome or something similar. On Sunday my hand had some really serious swelling. There was not much pain (unless I pressed on the swollen area). Today (Monday), the swelling is almost completely gone ad the pain is minor while there is a slight tingling as I move my 3rd finger.

Has anyone experienced this exact type of scenario or similar and if so what was going on? I don't know if I simply strained my hand or if this is more serious. I do plan on calling a doctor but am waiting since the swelling is going away.

Sorry for the book (and also if I am posting in the wrong area). Please offer input & advice.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

See a doctor ASAP.

If this didn't happen before you started using three finger technique, I would ditch it for now. Go back to two fingers.

It could just be that you overdid it, and your tendons/muscles weren't ready for that much aggressive use of three finger technique yet.

A doctor can tell you for sure.