1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Damaged Sire V7 - Better sell the parts or a full instrument?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Little Rock, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Fully loaded body + neck hardware

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Sell parts separately

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. buy a replacement neck for $159 and sell a fully functional bass

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. Little Rock

Little Rock Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2015
    Montreal, Canada
    Hi there!
    I have a 2016 4-string Alder body Sire V7 bass without a neck, which i am planning to sell. In fact, i did damage the truss rod nut, when trying set it up. So, it is still playable, but the action is a bit high.

I am struggling to decide if it would be better to sell the loaded body + neck hardware, sell the parts separately or buy a replacement neck for $159 and sell a fully functional bass.

If i decide to sell the parts, i thought about the following breakdown:
    Body 100
    Bridge 30
    Pickguard 20
    Preamp 100
    Pickups 80
    Neck plate and screws 10
    Tuners 20
    Total 360

The fully loaded body would sell for $300.

I would really appreciate to have your opinion both on what would be the best decision to make and on the parts breakdown and the price of each one.

By the way, i find it a nice bass, but there are several aspects that i don't like, such as the weight (4.5 kg = 10 lbs), the bass control, the location of the switch and the passive sound.

Please, let me know your opinion and thanks in advance!

2. Little Rock

Aug 23, 2015
    Montreal, Canada
    Bump!

3. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I'd just sell it fully loaded. You might not quite get the full $300, but do you want the hassle of having to sell and mail every single piece. However, I'm at a point in my life where I like to offload these kind of things as quickly as possible rather than trying to eeek every last penny out of them.

Also, as for individual prices the seem reasonable except...
    -I'm skeptical that you'd be able get $100 for the preamp. Maybe 70 at the most? even with the MM name, it's still a stock import preamp.
    -The pickguard would probably be tough to find a buyer for.

buldog5151bass and lowdownthump like this.
  4. Little Rock

Aug 23, 2015
    Montreal, Canada
    Thank you, Sir!

5. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

I purchased a new preamp from Sire for $70 earlier this year.

6. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Sell it as-is mechanic’s special.

safikex and RyanOh like this.
  7. Little Rock

Aug 23, 2015
    Montreal, Canada
    That is great feedback!

8. Little Rock

Aug 23, 2015
    Montreal, Canada
    Thanks!

9. Eilif

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Good to know, In that case, you might get $50 for a used one or less? At this point Parting out one doesn't seem like a good way to go. Thus...

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm making the following assumptions.
    -you've got a bass that retails new for $500
    -Despite what folks are asking for used V7's on Reverb, you might expect to get $400 used.
    -If you can get $400 used for a whole bass, you might get $250 for a loaded body.

So, assuming the above is correct, you have the choice between:
    1-Selling the loaded body for $250 +shipping and ending $250 down from a $500 investment.

2)-Investing $159 in a new neck, selling for $400 +shipping and being $259 down from a total investment of $659. Note that that doesn't include whatever the neck will cost to ship to you which is probably more than the $9 difference.

I personally don't think that buying a new neck is worth it. I'd recommend listing it fully-loaded with tuners for $300 for a bit and seeing if someone bites. I don't know that they will, but you might just find someone who wants to put a P-width neck on it for whom a loaded body and tuners is perfect. Then, if that fails drop the price to $250.

If you absolutely can't find a buyer for over $200 then maybe it's worth it to buy and install a new neck.

Good Luck.

EDIT: SaabFender might have a good point. Maybe the bad neck will be an enticement. I will say though that for some folks it might be a turn-off, but there's no harm in trying.

Funkinthetrunk likes this.
  10. Little Rock

Aug 23, 2015
    Montreal, Canada
    Thanks for the advice! I will take into consideration before making the decision.

11. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
  12. Eilif

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I assumed the OP was talking about putting a Sire neck on the bass. I would not bother buying a non-sire neck and trying to sell it/ You'll likely only end up with a bass that's even lower value than a used Aire.

13. If you liked the bass, perhaps see what a new neck from Sire would cost, and keep it?

Otherwise, sell the body and be done with it.

I don't think you would get the asking prices you listed if you tried to part it out. Assuming you did your research on a site like reverb.......even so......those prices seem high.

14. Wait...back up for a sec.

Is it just the truss rod "nut" that's buggered?.....or the rod itself?

You might look into replacing just the nut, which is an inexpensive DIY fix, or a not expensive job for any decent tech.

15. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Banned

May 26, 2010
    If the OP stripped the truss rod nut, a competent tech can fix that. If you snapped the truss rod, you cranked it too hard and it cracked the neck, etc., then yeah, you'd have to just get a replacement neck (obviously you COULD replace the truss rod, but that's a ridiculously expensive and labor intensive job that would not be worth it.)

If you can get an OEM replacement neck for $159 the seems like the no brainer. Get the replacement neck, DO NOT attempt to install it yourself 9you already proved you shouldn't be doing this!) and pay a competent tech to install it, set the guitar up, file the nut slots, and chalk it up as a lesson learned.

Selling the entire bass or parting it out is like trying to change the brakes on your car, screwing it up, and instead of paying someone to fix it right, you say, "to hell with it" and just end up parting out the car and selling it. Doesn't make sense.

Before you do anything though, Id have someone who knows what they're doing make sure the truss rod is actually ruined. I once bought a near mind Fender Highway 1 Telecaster for $180. The seller said he broke the truss rod attempting to adjust it, so I bought it for the loaded body and figured Id just toss the neck. I got it home, found that the truss rod worked, but what had happened was the walnut plug on the headstock that covers the truss rod had simply come loose. A little wood glue and good as new.

As a guitar player who also plays bass and frequents other guitar message boards, I have to say, I have never seen more mentions of people screwing up and breaking truss rods more than bass players seem to do. What they heck are you guys doing to your instruments?!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    buldog5151bass likes this.
  16. Little Rock

Aug 23, 2015
    Montreal, Canada
  17. Little Rock

Aug 23, 2015
    Montreal, Canada
    I think it has pros and cons, like everything else, but i was planning to sell it before i got the nut damaged.

18. Little Rock

Aug 23, 2015
    Montreal, Canada
    Thanks!

19. Little Rock

Aug 23, 2015
    Montreal, Canada
    According to Sire, it has a double action truss rod and on those the nut cannot be replaced.

20. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Banned

May 26, 2010
    I'm still curious how the OP damaged/broke the truss rod?

Were you using one of these to adjust it?

8Igh1p2.

eastcoasteddie likes this.