Damaged Spector - REVERB SUCKS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fretlesswonder, Sep 20, 2016.

1. fretlesswonder

fretlesswonder

Jul 26, 2006
    New Jersey
    I sold a Spector bass, it was damaged in shipping. My question, could I sell it as is? It is cracked by the fretboard. Sadly, it was a nice bass. I just don't know if it can be repaired.

2. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Everything can be fixed. Got pics??

Reedt2000 likes this.
  3. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    How bad is the crack? I'm sure a luthier could fix it up nicely. Worst case scenario you could always contact Spector and see about getting a replacement neck.

Reedt2000 and SirMjac28 like this.
  4. Reverb is starting to suck big time, but what's this post have to do with Reverb? They aren't the shippers.

Kilgore777, BeefPie84 and DiscoRiceJ like this.
  5. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    That is what I was thinking. I don't think it is Reverb's fault that it is "starting to suck big time," though. I think that is a function of becoming a bigger player on the used scene. The "great deals" start to get fewer and further between.

CereBassum likes this.
  6. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I agree, I don't see how Reverb is at fault here, contact the shipper - hopefully you had some kind of damage protection insurance. Contact the shipper and get them to compensate you.

Kilgore777 and Reedt2000 like this.
  7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Reverb is the best online site for buying a bass, hands down!

Kilgore777 and Monterey Bay-ss like this.
  8. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Since it's nearly a 3 year old thread, I would hope the fretboard problem has been solved.

Warpeg, mrb327 and Polk Salad like this.
  9. I've been on Reverb since the beginning. Bought and sold a bunch of basses on there, including my #1 for two years now.

But they've gotten really BIG and they're letting people out of deals with flimsy excuses - I just had an incident. Guy made an offer, I accepted - that seals the deal according the every rule in the book.

Guy comes back and says he wants out - he's "new to Reverb" - didn't realize if his offer is accepted he has to pay - even though when you make an offer you get a big notice telling you that and you can't continue to make the offer until you agree to pay if it's accepted. He told Reverb he was 'new' and they let him squirm out. He happens to be a fairly well known pro too, whose name I'll be happy to divulge to the curious...

Didn't used to be that way - they would stand behind their sellers if the buyer didn't comply with the terms as stated. Now they have some very big sellers on there - don't care about the little guys any more and they want more buyers on there - don't want to chase people away by making them play by the rules. Their fee structure is also getting more complicated by the day and they seem to be taking a bigger chunks.

I'll probably go back to EBay and sell on TalkBass if I have something more to sell.

10. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Sounds like you have a legitimate beef with Reverb. Overall, though, without delving too deeply into the political, I think that catering to the "very big sellers" is just capitalism at work. I have gotten a couple very good deals on Reverb, but I have to admit that I do shy away from those same "very big sellers."

CereBassum likes this.
  11. SgtHulka

SgtHulka Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Fort Arnold
    Now that Reverb has been bought by Etsy, you can bet it's going to rise dramatically in cost. Get it now while you can.

CereBassum likes this.
  12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I have cancelled a few online orders after purchase and the only time it was ever an issue was when I realized the person was trying to scam. I'm not saying you were doing anything dishonest, I'm just saying it isn't a big deal to cancel a sale in everybody's book and it happens all the time. The point of selling things, in my view, is that I should feel confident enough in my items that I don't need to worry about another buyer coming along. That being said, I am surprised that Reverb didn't side with you as that is the agreed to terms.

13. Not sure what you're talking about. You can't cancel a sale on there AFAIK - the normal procedure is to ask for a refund. Then you deal with seller and figure it out.

But there was no request for refund here. Reverb unilaterally canceled the order because the moron/crook claimed he was 'new to Reverb', which I guess means he can't read plain English (even though he's written a bunch of book in that language....).

Regardless, the terms of an offer are perfectly clear. "New to Reverb" is not an excuse for them to 'cancel' a binding contract, any more than "new to driving" is an excuse for running a red light.

My hunch is that the guy is pro with a bit of a name, so they kissed his ass. :banghead:

And as I said, it's not first time I've dealt with the guy and not the first time he wasn't particularly 'honorable'. Maybe I was stupid to deal with him but he made an offer and I needed the money and I relied on Reverb - mistake.

OK well:
    So that's the sort of thing we can now expect from Reverb...:vomit:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  14. Didn't know that - explains a lot.

In the future if I'm selling something on there I will play CYA a lot more and consider Reverb a foe instead of a friend - just like EBay.

But my urge to go back to EBay and use TB more. As it is I don't horse trade like I used to.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  15. No argument there. But that doesn't mean you arbitrarily screw little guys in open violation of your stated rules.

It's not a contradiction - you can cater to big guys (some of them on there are very good and I've gotten good deals and good service from them) without openly screwing little guys for no reason.

wvbass likes this.
  16. Relayer71

Relayer71 Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    I came here to see a damaged Spector... this thread is not delivering.

CereBassum likes this.
  17. At the moment we're busy railing on Reverb.

Come back later - maybe a damaged Spector will show up. :D

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021