Damaged Tweeter??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cjgallen, Aug 3, 2002.

1. Tweeter Problem

3 vote(s)
  2. Amp Problem

0 vote(s)
  3. Carpet Cleaner

1 vote(s)
  4. That Smell Doesn't Go Away

2 vote(s)
  1. cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    Got my new stuff BTW....

Carvin DCM1500 (I went a little overboard)
    SansAmp Bass Driver DI

This stuff sounds amazing (but almost anything does compared to my Ibanez). Before "the incident" as I'll refer to it, I would power on my gear, and it would be dead silent (not even a hum) until I cranked the power up. Even then there was minimal noise (treble cranked up and such).

"the incident":

Band practice yesterday, Chris (guitarist) was asking dumb questions about my "head" (power amp). "So is that head just for bass?" While I was thinking "No you idiot, it's a power amp that can be used for damn near everything."

Anyway, he asks if he could play through it. As much as I'd like to slap him for even thinking about it, I decided to be nice and let him play a few notes.

I turn the power all the way down on the amp (silence), and plug him into the SansAmp on bypass, and then turn it back up. Well, he's strokin' away at the guitar, lookin' like an idiot, and nothing is coming out. "Oops," he says, one of the pedals in his unnecessary 10 pedal chain is not connected. So before I could do anything, he plugs it in, sending an painful POP through the speakers. So he starts playing his heart out, while I start thinking of where to dump his body after I murder him.

After I cooled off, Jeff (drummer) comes back and says we need to work on this one part in this one song. Without even thinking, Chris disconnects from the SansAmp, making an even louder pop than before, and he's giving me this look like "this can't possibly be my fault."

Colonel Mustard in the Garage with the Instrument Cable

No violence (yet), I just bottle it up and politely tell him to please turn it off before plugging or unplugging anything. And practice resumes.

You'd think someone who's been playing guitar 6+ years (and whose father also plays) would know something about amps (or be good at guitar).

Today, I power on, and I hear for the first time, an annoying buzz. I turn it off, unplug everything except the line from the amp to the cab, and turn it back on...Buzz. I turn the tweeter volume all the way down and it goes away, but if I barely turn it up, it buzzes. The buzz volume is either on or off, messing with the tweeter volume does nothing. Ground lift does nothing, changing lines/bridged mode does nothing.

So any suggestions? Is my tweeter damaged? Or my amp? Should I find a more intelligent guitarist? Do I even need one? What's the best way to get rid of that "dead body" smell?
  2. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    Well, try turning up your power amp and the Sansamp with the highs turned way up (and your bass plugged in but not being played), and you should get a nice "hiss". If you hear no difference in hiss when turning down the tweeter control or putting your hand over the tweeter, then your tweeter has been blown. I'm pretty sure you can order another one from Avatar (runs about $50 probably) and get instructions from Dave on how to install it. The money will be coming from your guitarist.
  3. cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    With the tweeter all the way down, and everything else up, it has a nice hiss (sounds like the ocean), but when I turn the tweeter up, it sounds like someone running their nails down a chalkboard, or that sound you get when a cable is half plugged in (except that they are all plugged in, all the way, I tried different cables too).
  4. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    Sounds like your friend has wrecked your tweeter.