damaged voice coils in Bergs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dee rob, May 20, 2007.

1. dee rob

dee rob

Feb 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same issue that I'm having. I've got 2 HT-112's that I drive with an Iamp 800. Just about a week ago, the voice coil went out on one of my cabs. Normally that wouldn't be a big deal, but this is the second time that it's happened with the same cab. Let me be clear in stating that this is in no way an indictment of Bergantino cabinets. I absolutely love the sound, and Jim has been nothing but gracious in trying to help me resolve the problem. As I said before, I absolutely love the sound, but I'm a little gun shy at this point, as this is the second failure in just about 8 months. Any ideas? Thanks.

dee

2. Maybe something with the amp or driving the amp too hard?

Just to my mind it seems there must be a common ground causing those problems to occur?

3. Lowfader

Lowfader

Jul 11, 2004
    U.S.A.
    Mine burned up the second time out on a gig. We had power problems that night. I was using phantom power on a direct box & I think that had something to do with it. The guitar player's Marshall amp blew up too. I was sick about it for weeks. I sent the whole cabinet back to the shop & haven't had any problems since. Did you send the bad coil or complete speaker back to Jim for diagnosis?

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    There are two ways a coil can go, either by burning it or smacking it on the end plate. Both are caused by too much power, and the usual reasons for using too much power is that the cab(s) aren't loud enough or don't go low enough. The sure cure for both is to use more speakers. I'd add a 3rd cab. Just be sure your amp will handle the impedance load.

5. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I have bergantino ht112 and ex112 and some aguilar gs112 and gs112nt. I like the different cabs for different reasons, but I never really felt comfortable pushing the bergantinos as hard as I do the aguilars. it seems I have to goose the bergs lows to get a nice heavy bottom at higher volumes where as the aguilars have a naturally heavy tone, but not as smooth as the bergs.

Home = bergs
    gig = aguilars

6. I think Bill nailed it. The speakers can't handle the levels you're sending to them. A driver can only handle what the design limits it to. Like any tool or any piece of gear you own: "take care of them, and they'll take care of you". So maybe like he said.. add another cab or perhaps back off on your power levels.. What are your EQ setting specifically?

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021