Damaging speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by decadence, Sep 8, 2001.

1. The SVP-Pro preamp has a knob labeled "drive", which you can use to get a distorted tone. I've heard before that if you send a distorted signal into a cabinet, it could ruin the speakers. If you pump the drive, will you ruin your speakers?
  2. Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA

Haven't heard that one... don't they make 'overdrive / distortion' pedals for bass? Is there a difference between the pedal's distortion and the amp's overdrive distortion??

I do know that guitar players have been using 'amp' overdrives and pedals for quite sometime without any detriment to speakers....

Although, I do know a guitar player that was using someone's SVT BassHead (the boat anchor one), and high the 'high and ultra-high' switches turned on. After about a half-hour of playing through an 8x12 cabinet, the speakers suddenly went silent.
    It turned out, the amp's 'high / ultra high' guitar signals were too much for the cabinet. The vibration needed for the speakers was so fast, that instead of vibrating, they would stand still and heat up.

michael s.
  3. No.

But you still have to know what you're doing. Speakers may be damaged by a clipping output stage, IOW if you demand more from your amp (power-wise) than it's capable of.

But luckily, a distorted tone has a higher perceived loudness and is compressed because of the distortion. So if you're normally not clipping your amp, using the drive knob won't clip it either. Usually.