1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dame Joan Sutherland

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by billjr, Oct 12, 2010.

1. billjr

billjr

Jul 25, 2006
    Darlington, SC
    Dame Joan Sutherland died two days ago. She was an Australian Soprano with one of the greatest voices ever. Pavarotti called her the "Voice of the Century."

Her American debut in 1960 was at Winthrop College in Rock Hill, SC, and I was a music major there in 1980 when she came and performed for the 20th anniv. with the Charlotte Symphony. All of us music majors were ushers, and got to hear the concert. WOW!! Most beautiful voice I have ever heard. She had a three octave range up to an F#.

Afterwards we attended the reception at the presidents house, and I still have the autographed program framed in my music room.

Didn't know if there are any opera fans here, I'm not really, but Dame Joan was one of the biggest and best stars there was.

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

One of the greatest singers of the past century! R.I.P.