Damit you people are rubbing off on me!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tash, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I must be all the talk aobut how great growly tube amps are here, all the threads on Ampegs and Ashdowns and such.

I was messing around with my J-Station today trying to get some of the inherent hiss to go away when I decided to try out the "Rock" amp model (emulates an Ampeg SVT).

I put the gain and level on max, High and Low to 12, Mid maxed and dialed up a nice mid boost on my basses EQ.

Then I started jamming "War Pigs"...damn this is fun. So I ran through a bunch of Metallica, Sabbath, Maiden and Slayer tunes I know. All fun. Then I tried some originals...doesn't work as well with my stuff, BUT if I roll the gain down a bit so its just crackling and not breaking into overdrive...WOW, very cool sounding.

And this is just a digital MODEL...now I'm wondering what the real thing would sound like.

Its not like I've never played tube amps before, I owned an all tube trace, have gigged with an SVT4 and played tons of other. But somehow it never clicked.

I still dig the really clean piano style tones most of the time, but maybe some tube color isn't quite such a bad thing after all?
  2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Whatever you do, if you decide you want the tube grit only occasionally, I personally don't think the Sansamp BDDI does a very good job. Yes, it adds warmth, but it gets harsh when you try to push it. YMMV.
  3. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Try getting just a tube preamp and trying it with your SS power section... I found this to work wonders for me, and without the 100# weight of a tube amp, my back loves it too!

4. The J-station is a magical piece of equipment, if you ask me. Were you running it through your regular rig?
  5. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Actually the J-Station IS my regular rig. Since my peavey combo blew up a few months ago its all I've played at home. I use a borrowed Hartke 3500/410XL for practice.

I'm getting a new stack as soon as I sell my house and move into a new place. Right now I'm looking at a 1001RB-II and Avatars.
  6. So do you play it through headphones, or a large stereo? I do both, but I find that I lose most of the grit through the stereo speakers (2 2x12 boxes with tweeters.)
  7. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I play it direct into my MOTU 828, then out my studio monitors. When I go on vacation it comes with me and I use a pair of headphones.