Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Damit you people are rubbing off on me!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tash, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I must be all the talk aobut how great growly tube amps are here, all the threads on Ampegs and Ashdowns and such.

I was messing around with my J-Station today trying to get some of the inherent hiss to go away when I decided to try out the "Rock" amp model (emulates an Ampeg SVT).

I put the gain and level on max, High and Low to 12, Mid maxed and dialed up a nice mid boost on my basses EQ.

Then I started jamming "War Pigs"...damn this is fun. So I ran through a bunch of Metallica, Sabbath, Maiden and Slayer tunes I know. All fun. Then I tried some originals...doesn't work as well with my stuff, BUT if I roll the gain down a bit so its just crackling and not breaking into overdrive...WOW, very cool sounding.

And this is just a digital MODEL...now I'm wondering what the real thing would sound like.

Its not like I've never played tube amps before, I owned an all tube trace, have gigged with an SVT4 and played tons of other. But somehow it never clicked.

I still dig the really clean piano style tones most of the time, but maybe some tube color isn't quite such a bad thing after all?

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Whatever you do, if you decide you want the tube grit only occasionally, I personally don't think the Sansamp BDDI does a very good job. Yes, it adds warmth, but it gets harsh when you try to push it. YMMV.

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Try getting just a tube preamp and trying it with your SS power section... I found this to work wonders for me, and without the 100# weight of a tube amp, my back loves it too!

Ray

4. The J-station is a magical piece of equipment, if you ask me. Were you running it through your regular rig?

5. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Actually the J-Station IS my regular rig. Since my peavey combo blew up a few months ago its all I've played at home. I use a borrowed Hartke 3500/410XL for practice.

I'm getting a new stack as soon as I sell my house and move into a new place. Right now I'm looking at a 1001RB-II and Avatars.

6. So do you play it through headphones, or a large stereo? I do both, but I find that I lose most of the grit through the stereo speakers (2 2x12 boxes with tweeters.)

7. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I play it direct into my MOTU 828, then out my studio monitors. When I go on vacation it comes with me and I use a pair of headphones.