1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Damm Ampeg

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by big stubby, Mar 11, 2008.

1. big stubby

big stubby

Feb 1, 2007
    Okay, so I pick up my bass to practice on my already once repaired Ampeg BA115 combo and everytime I hit F# it sounds like the speaker is blown out. I obviously have to have this repaired AGAIN. But as soon it as it is done then I am done with it. Any suggestions on what I should replace it with? I don't play out and only get together with my buddies every once and while. I do want more volume though. This amp was made in China, and it is obvious to me that Ampeg has not kept a close eye on quality control.

2. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    F#?
    Play a G flat instead.

Is it really the amp?
    Are you sure it's not the speaker ?
    I not up on the Ba115 but does it have a extention speaker out ?

3. those arent very loud in the first place.

so you want another combo amp right? perhaps try a 210 combo instead of a 115 and you might get a better volume, and enjoy the tighter sound.

I recommend the GK and fender combo amps over the ampeg ones...
    i used to have the ba115hp, and it definitly lacked

4. no, i dont think it does, if i remember correctly.

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    If you want it to go low and loud don't run a combo, any combo. Combos are designed to be convenient, the trade off is a cab size too small to go loud in the low end.

6. well yea.. true, but it doesnt sound like hes looking for a rig of doom..

7. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I really liked the Nemesis NC212 when I brought it back from the dead.

8. big stubby

big stubby

Feb 1, 2007
    No, I don't need a rig of doom, just something to jam with my buddies with and that is easy to transport. Any info on the Fender Bassman 250/115 combo?

9. i really like the bassman combos!

I have not owned one so I cannot give a super detailed review, but whenever I try one, I love the sound and Punch coming from the little combo amp. Try one of them out if you can.

10. alembic5

alembic5

Dec 5, 2004
    Seattle, Wa.
    +1 on the Nemesis combos. Reasonably priced, great sound and decent volume. Light weight to boot! The Mesa walkabout scout combos are nice, albeit a bit more pricey. I had the 12" combo and it got pretty loud with plenty of booty. The loudest combo by far (and I still think the best sounding) is the Peavey BAM 210. 350 watts, amp emulation, foot pedal... 500 watts with an extension cab. You can get them for around $500 now. Downside... heavy! That is the only reason I sold it. Oh yeah, I also had a Fender Bassman 400 210 combo. It was a good sounding unit, although it had some issues. I sold it only because I didn't trust it. Good luck!