Dammann Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tom_capasso, Jul 4, 2002.

1. I had the opportunity to visit Ralph Dammann at his home last February. I thought I would post a thread about my visit, but when I finished writing it up, I had an article. I tried to get it published (Bass Player, Bassics, etc.), but had no luck until I submitted it to ActiveBass. They have it posted on their site, and the only change they made was to change the picture I used.

I had a great time meeting Ralph and playing his basses. And thanks for checking out www.activebass.com/default.asp?src=a&i=44

2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    ...they....they look well constructed.
  3. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    ...they... they look... what the...?
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    So I am not the only one who thinks they...are...a little, uh, asthetically challenged?
  5. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000

They probably ARE ergonomically perfect, in that near-vertical position... but that is not the way I play.
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Bunnybass time! (someone needs to send those in!)

They look like a sad fruit.

Or a porkchop.

Yes, that's it porkchops.
  7. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Well atleast he has creativity....
  8. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    If I ever get carpal tunnel, that's the bass I'd get. But not before that.
  9. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    i feel like I might throw up .......
  10. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Well... umm... its ugly... there I said it.. I'm sorry but you guys need to stop beating around the bush.. But i bet it plays well... I kinda like some of those pickup configs there... maybe its not so bad at all... i'll just cover it with carpet or semething :D
  11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    ... would you believe it started out as a wart on my ass?
  12. kinda Lazy Boyish..... All it needs is a cup holder, TV remote and you'd be set for the night, Hey! they look well made...
  13. Oh, common guys! :D They aren't THAT bad. I wouldn't mind being seen with one. They look better when someone is playing them.

click here

Looks like they hang in the same position as a Chapman Stick or a Warr guitar.
  14. Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    yeah, it's not too bad if someone is covering that..um..thing growing out of it. hope it sounds good...
  15. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wow, you guys are being pretty harsh. Maybe you would be more amused if you pronounced the name in a humorous manner, such as "Damn, man!"
  16. Ralph D is working on building enough of them to get a few into some stores. I believe he'll target high-end and "bass" stores rather than chains, since the price point doesn't fit.

When I saw the website years back, I thought it looked ergonomically nice, but awkward. When I had the chance to see and play one, it was verry cool. The wood work is beautiful, and it sounds great. But I started jumping around with it on (being an aging rocker), and it works really well.

OK, I know there are people that think all basses should look like a Fender, or like a guitar. But this bass is worth a try. It may not be your cup of tea, but after you play one you can't help but have an appreciation for it...

17. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Yes, I believe I would.

18. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    this one wouldn't look that bad if it had a bottom horn![​IMG]