1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dammit, all I wanted was...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Kael, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    ...a simple little octaver pedal. I am not an effects guy. I'm just not. Pedals always seem like toys that I will never realistically use on the job. Got to listening to a couple tracks that coupled an octaver with a fretless and thought, "Hey, that might be neat to break out every once in a bluemoon". Out I went to try octave pedals. Problem was, every pedal I touched tracked like butt. I am an overly busy player (something I know that I should probably correct) and those things just would not keep up trackingwise. I also didn't like how many pedals would not keep up with multiple notes at the same time. I don't want to limit myself when I am improving a line. Read on here about Electro Harmonix POGs. Went into a local shop and saw they had a POG at what seemed like a below average price ($270). Result: now I have a freaking huge pedal with a bazillion setting that I will never use. All because I wanted a simple octaver to use on a couple fretless tunes. Thanks a lot TB. My bank account grows smaller due to you.

You know, I think I've thought of a good use for all those up octave settings. Taming annoying keyboardists. If they insist on riding in my sonic turf with their left hand, I can always set this POG to sound like a organ and strum away up in their territory. That might be worth the price of cartage alone...

2. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    what other units did you try?

the ebs octave pedal is supposed to be one of the best around, for a fraction of the price and size as a pog.

3. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    :D

That's all I've got to say, really. :smug:

IMO, I think you'll grow to like the POG for more than just annoying keyboardists. Just give it a little time.

4. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    +1. I've got some 'freakin huge' synth-style sounds out of it myself. Me likey.

5. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident

Mar 18, 2007
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    so hows the POG, do you like it? :D

does it track better and do multiple/fast notes as you wanted it to?

6. DbNBassist

DbNBassist

Aug 12, 2006
    Britain
    U try the digitech bass synth wah?

7. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Tried a Boss octaver (not sure of model number), terrible tracking. Tried a mx octaver (once again don't know the model). The mx seemed a little better, but still not all that slick. I also tried a boss bass synth pedal. Set the synth effect to zilch just to get a lower octave tone out of it. I used a bass synth pedal like this about 5 or 6 years back a few times on the job. Worst tracking out there. This go around I did not try an ebs. I have in the past though. The ebs seemed like the best out there from my memory of it, till I tried this POG thingy. I know that I have probably played a few more octave pedals in the past, but it has been a while. Actually I think that I had an old Digitech Studio Quad that did a bang up job of tracking also, but that was a rack mount studio effects proccessor. No way I'd ever lug that in a rack to a gig.

This POG is just scary fast on the tracking. I go into Jaco on a eightball mode and it just chugs right along. It also seems to pick up very light/quiet notes. Most of the octavers I've touched (admittedly not all that many) seem to have a threshold you have to cross before they kick in). I haven't spent all that much time with this sucker yet, but it seems to pick up very light nuanced playing. And yes, as reputed it tracks a low B. Doesn't neccesarily sound the greatest, but that could easily be me not running through enough speakers to reproduce a tone that low. Tracks chords just Jim Dandy also.

Once again, not much time on it. Just picked it up like two hours ago. I think I am going to play around with it a little after dinner. Matter of fact. I think, I think I'll go play with it right now. :)

8. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    OK, I've spent the past 45 minutes playing with the POG through my rig. Previously I just ran it through the rig at the store (although with my own instruments) and spent a couple minutes on it at home. There is a slight delay before the generated tones kick in. Not anything massive by any means. Just makes it sound like there is a slight delay or reverb tone going on. It is more noticeable when you get multiple synthetic voices higher up going. Also seems more noticeable when you use the low pass filter setting that sends the dry signal through without going through the the low pass filter. Using the SVT/SWR 610 at the store and mainly using the octave down voice, I didn't notice any delay. I think that my EA Cxl-112 + thunderfunk is just quicker than the rig I tested this pedal through.

This is still the tightest tracking I've heard yet. Even with all voices going the tracking is plenty tight enough I could see using this live if I were so inclined. If I was in the studio, I would probably prefer to have a dry track before the pedal along with an effected signal with the dry EHX slider turned off. Then I would fix that slight delay through the wonders of modern studio mixing voo-doo. Just thought I'd qualify my previous statements in the interest of complete disclosure.

9. or maybe just use an audio plug-in? :smug:

10. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    Moog Artist in Rock/Pop 5th down
    :) i just got a HOG, which is probably ten times what you needed. and i love it. i like to believe that i am an Octaver lover. i own 5 of them. the HOG is like an expanded POG from what i have experienced.

11. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Try to find an Ampeg Sub-Blaster. It's the best tracking octaver (other than the POG) that I've ever used.

The Foxrox Octron is also suppose to be pretty good.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021