Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dammit. Any MM pickup wiring experts in the house?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Blackbird, Jun 5, 2002.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    As some of you might know, I recently bought a Warmoth Jazz with dual Bart MM pickups. Well, I decided I didn't like the color of the finish and started removing the neck, the bridge and pushed the pots into the control cavity so I could prep the body.

I started pulling the bridge pickup out and it was a little stuck, so I was pulling a little harder than I should. When the thing finally came out, I some of the color coded soldered wires came loose. I pulled out the other pickup gently and have written down the order of the wires, so that's not a big concern. Then again, I don't know that much about pickups, so I'm worried anyway.

My question is: Should the pickup wires be taken out on the pickup or should they stay within the bass with the electronics? I have a friend who worked for Modulus who'll put the bass back together for me, but I don't want the job to be any harder. Thanks for any info.

One more thing: Would it be ok if I took out the other pickup this way? The green wire's already loose.:rolleyes:

2. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Big Wheel,

The pickup wires should stay attached to the pickup. If it is a Bartolini it will probably have 4 wires although if the bass don't use a switch for the pickup wiring you will only use two of those wires.

hope this helps
    keep groooovin'
    Fran

PS: as you can see in the picture, the original MusicMan pickup has only two wires b/c it is hardwired on parallel fron the factory,