Dammit. Any MM pickup wiring experts in the house?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Blackbird, Jun 5, 2002.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    As some of you might know, I recently bought a Warmoth Jazz with dual Bart MM pickups. Well, I decided I didn't like the color of the finish and started removing the neck, the bridge and pushed the pots into the control cavity so I could prep the body.

I started pulling the bridge pickup out and it was a little stuck, so I was pulling a little harder than I should. When the thing finally came out, I some of the color coded soldered wires came loose. I pulled out the other pickup gently and have written down the order of the wires, so that's not a big concern. Then again, I don't know that much about pickups, so I'm worried anyway.

My question is: Should the pickup wires be taken out on the pickup or should they stay within the bass with the electronics? I have a friend who worked for Modulus who'll put the bass back together for me, but I don't want the job to be any harder. Thanks for any info.

One more thing: Would it be ok if I took out the other pickup this way? The green wire's already loose.:rolleyes:
  2. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Big Wheel,

The pickup wires should stay attached to the pickup. If it is a Bartolini it will probably have 4 wires although if the bass don't use a switch for the pickup wiring you will only use two of those wires.

hope this helps
    keep groooovin'

PS: as you can see in the picture, the original MusicMan pickup has only two wires b/c it is hardwired on parallel fron the factory,