Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dammit!!! I've GOT to buy a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Andy Daventry, Jan 6, 2002.

1. I have two basses right now. My homemade 5 string and a Yamaha BB1200.

Both are fretless.

I sort of thought that I would fret the 5, but it sounds so good that I can NOT bring myself to do it.

I need a fretted bass. So I will have to buy one.

That's all I needed.

Seriously discombobulated about all this!

2. 3 words

MIM Jazz Bass

3. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I would suggest some of these.. depending on you $ range
    MM Stingray or sterling
    MTD-any of them :)
    MTD hier or kingston
    Ibanez BTB
    Peavey Cirrus
    MIA or MIM fender
    Dean basses.. I think they are very nice, underatted basses.

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    So are you asking for opinions on what you should buy or what?

Be a little more specific and you will get more of a response.;)

5. Gettin a GAS attack there, Andy?:D

Go with a nice Fender Jazz. Might actually be what I pick up next. I'm startin' to like their sound.

Rock on
    Eric

6. you looking for a 4 or a 5?

7. i recommend

Peavey Cirrus (sweeeet bass)
    Ibanez BTB (any kind)
    Stingray
    Any Fender

dammit, someone already recommended them... o well:p

8. tmt

tmt

Nov 10, 2001
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Why dont you make a new fretted "homemade" bass?;)

9. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    So cheap,yet so good.I love MIM's theyre so cheap but to me sound and perform as well as the MIA's.You can't go wrong with a Fender.

10. yes...except for the cheap electronics and pickups that do not stop producing 60 cycle hum and the fact that you can't get them with maple boards...yes

11. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    my mim has ZERO hum.

12. Thanks for the suggestions, folks. Actually, I was just sounding off, not asking for suggestions.

I don't want to build myself another bass. The angst, stress and bleah that went into the first one have put me off building.

Building is bloody hard work even, as in my case, when someone else does it for you!!!

And I have to admit something. I just don't like MIMs. Despite what a lot of people say, there IS a quality difference between MIM and MIA, and for me, MIM is below the line. You can't upgrade the wood. MIA is only just above it. MIA is the lowest quality bass I would buy.

There's a Heartfield DR5 going locally I might buy if I can get the price down enough. Surprisingly good quality for a Fender ibanez copy (!!!)...

13. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    3 words - DeArmond Pilot Deluxe.

They're discontinued so everyone's selling them really cheap, mahogany body, neck thru, active, four or five string, humbuckers, lovely sound. Really nice basses and so cheap.

I played a Fender Jazz MIA special (or something), it cost about £899 and it was terrible, there was a huge gap at the neck/body joint (easily enough for a credit card) and felt horrible, bad sound, dodgy neck, loose pots. It was brand new and it sucked.

Also the MIM Jazz sucked and the best of all of them was the Squier Jazz. My mate bought that. It has thus far rocked. Nice sound, good pots, straight neck. Odd.