Dammit, now my Dean is actin' the fool (input jack)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Matt Till, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Man, with all the broken gear I have, you'd think I was way punk and smashed these things and treated them like crap... but they just fall apart in my hands. I figured out the cause of the problem: The input jack is on the bottom of the bass, I often sit on the ground and play, and weight goes on the chord and jams the chord into the jack and wiggles stuff around. I took it apart, and looked at the wiring, and it looked fine, the soldering remained in tact. But whenever I wiggle it, or if it gets bumped slightly, it makes a lot of fuzz noise, I know it's not the ground, because I know what a bad ground sounds like, a little too well. :rolleyes:

Any thoughts? Before I jump in and ruin another bass... my only good one. :crying:

Oh, P.S. I changed the battery, so it's not the active electronics...

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Maybe you're just SO punk, you can't touch ANYTHING without it being devistated by your punkness.

*ahem*

Think maybe it's the cable instead?

-Ray

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Bah, I tried a slew of different cables, to no avail.

Hmm, worth a shot. How can the Jack be damaged? I mean, isn't it just a piece of metal with contact points?