Dammit, now my Dean is actin' the fool (input jack)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Matt Till, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Man, with all the broken gear I have, you'd think I was way punk and smashed these things and treated them like crap... but they just fall apart in my hands. I figured out the cause of the problem: The input jack is on the bottom of the bass, I often sit on the ground and play, and weight goes on the chord and jams the chord into the jack and wiggles stuff around. I took it apart, and looked at the wiring, and it looked fine, the soldering remained in tact. But whenever I wiggle it, or if it gets bumped slightly, it makes a lot of fuzz noise, I know it's not the ground, because I know what a bad ground sounds like, a little too well. :rolleyes:

Any thoughts? Before I jump in and ruin another bass... my only good one. :crying:

Oh, P.S. I changed the battery, so it's not the active electronics...
  2. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Maybe you're just SO punk, you can't touch ANYTHING without it being devistated by your punkness.

Think maybe it's the cable instead?

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Bah, I tried a slew of different cables, to no avail.

Hmm, worth a shot. How can the Jack be damaged? I mean, isn't it just a piece of metal with contact points?