Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dammitt!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Feb 25, 2001.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    A few weeks ago somebody posted a thread about getting into bands you were a fan of. There's a band called Bumblefoot that I was second in line for as bass player around 4 years ago. Didn't get the job, but have been a huge fan of them since - and sat patiently waiting for their bass player to get married and have kids or something. Well, my band was supposed to play a gig with them and when I emailed the guy for details about the gig - he wrote back those 4 magic words. My bass player quit. I jumped all over it. I said I could learn his set in no time, and would love to do itl P.S. They have a tour booked in France. I've never been out of the US, and to tour with them in France would literally be a dream come true. He emailed me again around 3AM, says "cool!", sends all the bass lines to the set (in standard notation AND tab), and me and my girlfriend both go nuts with excitement.

The job called for a 5 string (which I don't have), so I got up at 9AM to borrow one from a friend - start working on the stuff - I'm all ready to take off work the next week to really get the set down (it's tough stuff), and I get another email. "I'm sick of bands, I'm going solo again, forget it". I called him almost immediately, explained how he keeps picking idiots for his band and should give it one more shot with a dedicated person like me... but alas, there was no convincing him. He also said he already had someone to finish up the tour and last couple of gigs with him, and all I could think was - as I started this thread.... DAMMMITTT!

I feel Sometimes like I can't handle these ups and downs. I get so damned high, then crash big time. My band gets close to a great record deal, a great TV or Movie spot, a great gig - or we play a huge show, then it's done and nothing happens afterwards. It's an unbelievble roller coaster and I'm hancuffed to the seat. I know no other way. Couldn't even imagine saying "I give up", so I guess I must just learn to accept. Woe is me. For now.

By the way, I urge you to check this guy (band) out. All his recordings are really just him and a drummer - he plays everything himself.
    www.Bumblefoot.com
    I believe with all my heart and soul that this guy is the greatest guitarist that ever lived. Not sure if the downloads on his site truly showcase his abilities - but if anyone already knows of him, or hears a CD, I think they'll smile and say - OK, he might be.

Hadda get that all off my chest.
    Peace guys and gals.

2. THAT SUCKS! Sorry to hear that man. I hope I don't get stuck like that.. lol.. maybe I will once my band decides to start making music other than just covering other bands.

3. Well that sucks. Why not join Metallica? I hear they're after a bassist...:p

Well dude, it wasn't meant to be, but keep your foot in the door, you may stumble across another band and make big. who knows.

Merls

4. Man, that sucks, youll get better luck next time

5. Bad news man! Hang in there, it was'nt meant to be, but another opportunity will be just around the corner.

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Well Joe, At least he has you name in his head & hopefully he will remember it.

I hear you about all the up's & down's!!!! I'm at the point in my "career" (if you can call it one) that I just play for fun. Most of our shows are close friends & family that show support & a couple of new fans here & there. Our fan base is getting pretty big, but I don't wanna be hit with the fall. I'm a pesimistic mother father & I convince myself that every show is gonna be bad, so that when it actually ends up turning out good, I have a smile on my face @ the end of the night. Being in that "We're gonna get signed & be a big act" is lost in me. Been there, done that. I'm in a cool original band & they are my family now & that's more important than anything (even if my drummer is weird!!! LOL) If it happens, I will have a SUPER SMILE on my face :) @ the end of that nite!!! LOL

7. I had a shot with a band that I am a fan of.....Their bass player quit last year, by the time I found out, he was replaced......I was bummin'....Their manager told me about it approx. 1 day too late...

8. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Heres something that the last few months have taught me-Everything happens for a reason, what that reason is may not come about for awhile but it will. Teenage words to live by ;) :D