1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Damn band blues.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bassbully, Dec 23, 2016.

1. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Well my new country band was going well but there was some hidden internal tension of course they did not tell me about.
    Our guitar player who is motivated and experienced had it with the singer and quit the band by text today. He will ride out the few gigs we have into next year and then that's it.
    I knew it might be coming only after a couple weeks after I joined. The guitar player has good reasons for quitting and said he tried to get the singer to change. I'm not upset with him just the situation.
    This band was really fun and starting to gel but the singer is just not motivated enough for the guitar player, he feels he's lazy at booking gigs and helping with setup and tear down. He is right and I stand with him on it.
    So the singer in what's left of the old band wants me to stay on and retool the band. The guitar player wants me to come with him and form a better band. Right now I'm on the fence and told both I will work with them till we see what floats. My money is on the guitar player who has ran successfull bands in the past and has full PA gear.
    Looks like my Musical journey continues and it's getting old. Gosh dang it I just want a solid band to play in ...is it that hard?

hrodbert696 and Bassed in NZ like this.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Go with the guitar player. If you ever need another lazy singer you can find one. A guitar player with a good head on his shoulders is not so easy to find.

Pet Sounds, obimark, DirtDog and 16 others like this.
  3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Have a talk with both sides - see whose vision matches your own.

mrcbass and bassbully like this.
  4. LowNloud1

LowNloud1 Commercial User

Jun 11, 2012
    Wilmington NC
    I am a hobbyist making stone picks that I occasionally sell but mostly give away. They made me do this anyways.
    What Two Fingers said. It is a struggle to find motivated people but anytime I joined motivated people, good things always happened and I was happy.

I would not hesitate to go with the guitarist and not look back.

bassbully likes this.
  5. brbadg

brbadg

Nov 10, 2006
    Timonium,Maryland
    ok with the above^ but

"quit the band by text today".

Classy.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    40Hz likes this.
  6. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    some (actually a LOT) of folks cannot handle and do not want to address the conflict face to face.
    It's one reason we have the proliferation of, and relative anonymity of social media, where folks can pretty much say what they want.
    As a manger who has managed teams of up to 14 people in the past, firing folks, or quitting is not easy.. but common courtesy warrants a face-to-face situation.. That said.. if you live 50 miles away.. that's not always possible.

PS: I'd go with the guitar player.. lazy frontmen are a dime a dozen.. find a good one !!

40Hz likes this.
  7. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Well we still have gigs till March and practice is at his place so he's not running away.

8. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    I always wonder why musicians "quit" bands entirely, unless there is some kind of intolerable abuse such as dishonesty, repeated, unrepentant incompetence, or relationship conflict/personality clashes etcetera. If the band has the potential to get gigs, or is even just trying without success, I would indicate I am moving off the first call chair by such and such a date and let them replace me. But I would tell them to gimme a call as a sub -- I already know their repertoire and can help out if they need me. This way my gig pool expands, I keep relationships with other musicians who still have "legs" as far as I am concerned.

In this case, I would go with the guitar player for my first commitment. Sounds like he has his stuff together. I would make a judgment about whether the singer in band 1 has what it takes to make the band successful, and whether it's worth investing my time in it before quitting entirely. Never do I want to go back to the endless rehearsal scenario.

Ewo, BaileyMan and bassbully like this.
  9. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Thanks for hearing me out. The whole thing could of been avoided if the singer would loose the ego and quit being lazy. It's sad for this band had potential and they said by adding me started to gel. I felt the same way and had only done three gigs with them.
    I'm getting sick of looking and committing my time and energy in a band to just have it all vanish so quickly. Inside I know it's part of the game but it's getting old real quick. Like I said I'm waiting to hear from these two to see who makes the first move.

10. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    The bassist is always the last person to find out what's really going on in a band, no?

Helix, bassbully and el_Bajo_Verde like this.
  11. BaileyMan

BaileyMan Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Francisco
    Even though it's frustrating, what about the bright side? None of this should be lost on you. You're meeting and playing with new/different people, learning new songs, learning how to navigate different band situations. All of it making you a more versatile player who understands band dynamics better. I'm about to sound totally cliché, but we can take these kinds of experiences as learning experiences. I hear you though, in the end, you want to be in a solid group. I do too, but I also cherish all the opportunities I have to play with folks. Good luck with the band thing!

Madhouse27, mikeyjm2 and bassbully like this.
  12. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Kick the singer to the curb, call the guitarist and start looking for new singer. And yes, the bass player is often the last to know ... mostly because we don't give a rip about band drama and steer clear of it until we can't.

brbadg, bassfran and bassbully like this.
  13. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Easier said than done.

bassbully likes this.
  14. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

A lazy singer with an ego? Whoever would have imagined such a thing?

If you have time to work with both, I would go ahead and work with both. The guitarist clearly impresses you more and is more of an achiever. The old band, on the other hand, has gigs on the books, and that's nothing to sneeze at.

I have some questions, though, to better assess the situation:

Who DOES do the booking? Why is the singer's "laziness" on the booking front an issue? Not everyone is cut out for doing the booking work and if the singer isn't that person, he's not that person.

How good is the singer, both vocally and in terms of frontman charisma? That, too, is something that not all people can pull off, and covers a multitude of sins. When I was in college I did a share of stage managing plays, and had my gripes about lazy, egotistical diva actors and actresses. Then I picked up a copy of the Stage Manager's Handbook, and very early on it stressed the importance of making allowances for star performers, because it's their charisma that causes the show to thrive or fold, at the end of the day. It's great when they do pull their weight, and I've been lucky to be in bands with singers that did, but sometimes you've got to put up with the diva to get the magic up front.

How viable is the "old band" without this guitarist? Does it have a PA or a means of acquiring one, or practice space, or promotional support, without him?

jerry likes this.
  15. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I would work with both, their drama doesn't have to be your drama.

16. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    The band was formed by the singer and it bears his name. The guitarist was added and told the singer he wanted no part of booking...although he did. The guitar player proved leads and contacts to gigs but the guitar player never followed up on them or took his good ol' time doing it. The band had a good gig with one of the best clubs in the area and the singer blew it for reasons I won't go into here, but this band will never play there again.

The singer is good and plays guitar while he sings. He is not stage shy but not an entertaining frontman. He also uses lyric sheets in a book on the floor.
    The guitar player also sings and gets on the singer saying he needs to loose the book and learn the lyrics. The guitar player has been lead singer in bands before and knows allot of songs by heart, he said the singer is too lazy to learn the lyrics..which is true.

Guitarist has experience and connections having ran a band that was booked almost weekly every year he ran it. He does have a history of not staying in bands long, but for the most part he knows what needs to be done and is not patient with others who slack.
    The singer has some band experience but not much and it shows.
    I think both can survive in a new band with the guitar player having the best chance of it since he has the experience and equipment. I feel the guitar player really doesn't want to be a BL again but like I told him he will never be satisfied until he forms and leads a band and he's agreeing with me.

I'm going to try to stay with both and ride it out. I want to play 2-4 times a month and don't see the old band with singer getting there but with both bands I might have a busy schedule.

hrodbert696 likes this.
  17. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    You know you're right. I have developed into a better player even getting back to playing a Five string bass again, something I have not owned in years. I put allot of work into any band I'm dedicated to and only ask for a solid band to play out. This band had the potential but it looks like it's start over again time.

BaileyMan likes this.
  18. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I'd be inclined to go with the guitarist.

I'll take work ethic over just about anything when it comes to a band member. There was a time when I had far less experience where I'd put up with just about anything for the sake of retaining "talent."

Boy was I ever mistaken thinking that way!

bassbully and EdO. like this.
  19. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

Jan 8, 2011
    This is great advice. I have developed enough connections by leaving the sub option open that I have more gig opportunities than I really want sometimes.

bassbully likes this.
  20. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Good luck.
    The best & easiest thing to do is find another working band.
    Forming/rebuilding a new band is a lot of work.

bassbully and Jason Hollar like this.