Damn Bird Watchers!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by FenderBassp, Jan 24, 2005.

1. FenderBassp

Nov 14, 2004
    Need some legal advice, There are about 15 to 30 people at different times that think they can park their car and set up their camras. Take pictures of the american eagle nest in the woods behind my house. They have no business being here as to its our land and the road is private. I'm not trying to be a ass, but how would you like it if people you never saw park in your yard and take pictures for hours at a time. I kick them out, but that can seem to realize that i mean all the time and not for 5 minutes. Can i call the police because its a private road? :confused:
  2. Jaye

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    If they are truly on private land then of course you can call the police, they are trespassing....hell in some states you could just shoot them. ;)
  3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Kill the damned bird.
  4. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I can see it being ok if 2 or 3 people (or all 15-30, as you stated) showed up once with your permission. However, if the group shows up multiple times without asking, call the police.
  5. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Either start selling tickets or...release the hounds?
    Calling the cops will probably work too.
  6. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Is your property posted? Gated? That matters in a lot of places if you want to play hardball. I can't fault you for valuing your privacy, I'd feel the same way.

Also, what's an American eagle? Never seen one in any birding book, of which I own many. If you're taking bald eagle, they're as common as sparrows around here (well, not quite), no big deal at all. I'm sure it's a real big deal to those folks though, maybe you can work it out to let 'em have a look one day a month or something?
  7. Don't be so damned ignorant! :mad:
  8. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Chill the **** out, kid. The guy was joking about killing the stupid bird. Damn.

Original poster. Post it no trespassing, gate your entrance, and charge admission if they want to come onto the property to scope out the flora and fauna. Once they see that it's a paying affair they'll probably piss off.
  9. hey!!! nick's here!! he can get those danged birds.... now where's the extension cord for my vacuum???? :bag:

just playin!! :D
  10. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Nick just yelled at me on AIM... apparently I'm "thick and ignorant"

11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Play nice kids!
  12. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
  13. Post your property with no trespassing and no hunting signs.
    Call your local Game Warden to register your land as posted.If they are like the ones we have in my area they will be more than happy to help you out. You can even give them a list of people you will allow on your property.
  14. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Most of the people that I know who bird-watch are very nice people who care, and are interested, about wildlife. You can do one of several things as far as I see:

1. Chase them off with a shotgun - won't make you any friends and may give you a reputation you may not like. Heck , it's your land

2. Sell permits to view the nest and birds with a stipulation that you recieve copies of all pictures taken and are granted exclusive rights to sell and liscense said pictures

One is more American than the other. Can you guess which one?
  15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I think some signs posted would be your first step. That would add more legitimacy to your complaints. Otherwise, people are going to argue that there are no signs, and they'll play ignorant.

Once you have the signs up, then call the police if they cross them. I really don't think it will come to that. As mentioned, these kind of people are good natured.

16. you are a bassplayer right? you should invest in an amp loud enough to blow out some eardrums/break some sensitive camera equipment/scare off the damn eagles (JUST KIDDING NICK!!) thats pretty rad that the birds are campin out there, but all the damn people who also think its so damn cool they have to take multiple pictures. make a sign that says due to theft no unauthorised persons can be there for any reason without paying a hefty fee and getting your written consent. so what if nothing got stolen, if they were smart enough to figure that out they wouldnt be birdwatchers in the first place. or you could go out and dryhump their equipment every time they try to take pictures. if none of that works your out of luck, youlle have to resort to some form of neanderthal revenge
  17. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    The one with the gun....the one with the gun.....:hyper:
  18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yeah...some of these guys are crazy........talking about bringing out guns and shooting people because they want to look at a bird.

19. Bald Eagle, Lettuce, and Tomato. (I'm kidding, too)