Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Damn, do flats ever go bad?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ashtray9, Jan 13, 2003.

1. ashtray9

ashtray9

Aug 1, 2002
    Tempe Arizona
    How long does it take before flats lose their ability to stay in tune, or before they are too dead? Does this even happen? I have had my fender 9050m's on for about 5 months and they just keep getting better and more soulful. They sound so good! Will this level off at somepoint and they will stay the same?

Thanks

Damn, I can't understand why most players use rounds. I really hate them for anything besides slap. I love low end thumping fat tone.

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    No, no they don't. well..... after a WHILE..... i guess... but, the tone is already as DEAD as it's gonna get..... ok,, sorry,,, i just don't like flats,,, if i could have a flat FEEL, and a roundwound tone, that would be AWESOME.

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    some of the most influential early players - like james jamerson, for example - made it a point to never change their strings.

if you want big buttery tone with no high end, don't worry about changing 'em.

4. some players like duck dunn, i believe, have had the same set on for about 30 years. flats age well.

5. Flats really burn my fingers, I think they sound best on fretlesses, it starts to sound a bit like an upright, depending on what you're playing. I like D'Addarios, low and thumping without sounding muddy.

6. TI Jazz Flats improve with age, in my opinion they're the closest a flat is going to get to a round, if that's what you're after. Personally, I used rounds for 20 years, changed to TI Jazz Flats, and wished I'd had them all those 20 years. I've used nearly every string on the market, and none of them slapped me in the face and kicked me in the guts like the TI's. High end? I dont need no stinkin' high end......bass is bass!