1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Damn...Dom Di Piazza...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, Nov 1, 2006.

1. ...he's still my favourite modern bassist - I love this video, this is the kind of thing that sends me running to my bass to practice...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7wZZPYWQzQ

I also love the ay he's so chilled out when he's playing, this is so natural for him it great to watch.

M

2. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    His clarity and articulation of the phrases is astonishing to me everytime I see him.

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I can listen to him play for hours.

4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Oh, he's a don for sure! I was blown away with some of the stuff he does on the Carbonne/Manring/Di Piazza album!

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    What cracks me up about him is that he's such a badass, but I don't think I have ever seen him use the same bass, twice. :D

6. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK

Sounds like most TB'ers!!!!

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    :spit: I only play two!! :spit::spit::spit:

:p:bag::D

Edit: And i'm not a badass. :(

8. I only have two basses - but I agree that there are many TBers who suffer from GAS :bag: - also Dom amazes me because it doesn't matter what bass he plays, he can still play like a demon - in person he's one of the shortest bass players I've ever met - a shortass badass...;)

M

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Alright, I know you guys are sick of hearing it, but that music does nothing for me.

The reason I don't like bassist solo material, it's like... lets put almost zero consideration into the track, so I can solo over it. That has to be the most boring backing track I've ever heard. It sounds pretty, but boring. Maybe it's because I'm a bass player ;) but I'd like to hear a little more action on the track itself, I don't care who or what the soloist is.

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Intersting... sounds like you are almost taking it out of context.

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I was thinking the same thing about his solo vs. the track :meh: It's just something defining the changes while he (quite impressively) whips through scales with interesting phrasing.

But what were you saying?

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I'm sure he's using it as a training track, not a song or "release"...

There's a difference - even someone as good as Dom "trains" consistantly (that's why he plays the way play, unlike people like you and me who consistantly type on a keyboard).

I have been doing it for years and years with Aebersolds, whether it be on Trumpet or Bass - there are times (most of the time) that I don't even play the head, just solo (or at least try to) the entire tune.

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Hmm, I looked over youtube, couldn't find any of Dom's jams that didn't have boring tracks. Oh well, he's not my bag... I know he's good at what he does... and if he played like that over some REAL jazz (Sorry, I like Hard Bop/Bebop/Bopbopabop), I think I'd dig it a bit more.

The modern tonality of jazz is weak, Coltrane's sounded like he was playing a buzzsaw, and THAT is awesome. I guess I just prefer a more raw sound.

14. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Maybe if you were to actually go and buy an album, that might help...

Also, what is your level of theory and/or harmonic knowledge?

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Below average, whatever average is... I know I'm below it. So in my current state, I don't think "Oh, I would have never thought to do that"... I don't know if I ever will.

This is all futile on my part since in reality, I've never been drawn to solos/soloists. So, I probably won't drop the cash on one of his albums, and it's slightly pointless for me to critique. I'm not defending my musical ignorance, I'm just saying any and all musical knowledge I've acquired and will acquire in the future will be mainly for composition, not to build up a wicked set of chops.

That reminds me, I just shaved off a wicked set of chops... but it's alright, the nice simple goatee thing works.

16. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I think you're short changing yourself, but that's my humble opinion... If music is what you want, you need to become more "well-balanced" overall...

As to the chops... as long as you still have a goatee, you'll be fine. :D

17. Matt - I'd just like to say first off I agree with a lot of what you are saying in critiqueing this clip - this is definitely DP in practice / loose jam mode not holding down a groove with a drummer etc which he's really good at - and just as is the case with Wooten - don't look on You Tube but listen to his records - he's a really good all round player - You Tube and the web obviously emphasize the visual aspects of music and that is both good and bad - obviously - sorry don;t want to sound patronising - I'm not trying to be, honest. And yes the backing track sounds crap - but it's only there to create some harmonic backing to play off.

I don't post this kind of thing on here because this is the only kind of bass playing I appreciate - though I do love it - and as a bassist I do my best to play good bass lines first and solos second. I dig good bass playing whatever the context / style - so if this kind of approach to bass ins't your thing then no worries - I still think the guy is amazing.

M

18. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I think a lot of what's deemed 'amazing' on this site comes from that "wow I can't even come close to doin that" part of the brain. Kind of like goin on and on about how well someone can dunk, when that is clearly not what wins basketball games. We all want a little bit of that glory, even those of us who naturally don't care for flashy displays of showmanship. Deep down inside each of us, we want to be able to shred like that and have some bass glory. As for me I almost fell asleep at that clip.

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Well put, well, you and NJL have me convinced. I might not rush out and buy one of his albums, but I'll look for some samples online of his albums. I dig his technique, and I think it has a lot of possiblities in a groove... sorry, I still like grooves vs. solos. ;)

What do I like about the bass is rhythm. You can get some killer solo tone as well (I think a lot of jazz bassists sound tonally better than a lot of jazz guitarist... Sorry fellas, you're still no George Benson :D). But that's not what I'm about.

A little story to tell you what I like about bass: Two years ago, I went to the Barnes and Nobles, and after years of hearing how great it was, I picked up Headhunters by Herbie Hancock. I was diggin' on Chameleon, I understood what the hype was all about.

When Watermelon Man came on, I was like... this is weird. When it all came together, bass n' drums, I yelled, "Hot piss that's funky!" Luckily, no one else was in the car.

I'll let you know what I think of Dom Dela Pizza when I'm done with my quest.

20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Forgot to ask, what are Aebersolds?