1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Damn Fender and their size changes! MiJ pups smaller than MiA??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ghindman, Apr 21, 2006.

1. ghindman

ghindman

Feb 10, 2006
    So, an odd month ago I picked up a set of the Fender Mod Shop SCN pickups for my MiM Fretless Jazz. They dropped in with no problem at all, and I dug the tone, so I sprung for a pair for my MiJ Fretted Jazz.

The new set arrived today, I took out my old pups, and tried to stick in the new ones. The cover on the new SCNs is just a few millimeters bigger than the stock MiJ pups at both the neck, and bridge positions - even the round-out for the screws is slightly off. I can't just swap the old covers, either, because the poles are in a different place.

I've never heard of a MiJ that had different sized pups than a MiA, but apparently that's the case. I'm seriously pissed. Anyone have any suggestions? They won't force in- I've already slightly chipped the finish around the brige route, trying to get them in.

2. ghindman

ghindman

Feb 10, 2006
    yup, got out the ruler - the Mod Shop SCN pup covers are just 1mm longer than the stockers.

3. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I ran into that when I put DiMarzio DP123s in my Carvin. The Carvin pickups, which look like J pus, are equal length. The DiMarzios has a shorter neck pickup, which meant that the screw boss spacing was narrower as well. I filed the plastic pickup body to fit in the Carvin route, and all is now well.

4. my emgs didnt want to fit in my ibanez. i put 3 layers of maskin tape on the body around the pick up cavity to protect the finish. i then took a dremel an milled out the cavity until it fit. work slow and take small amounts of material off until it fits. hope this helps and good luck.

5. ghindman

ghindman

Feb 10, 2006
    yeah, I'm really hesitant to go to work on the cavity - at least the bridge cavity that isn't covered by the pickguard. It's a black bass, and the slightest mistake will really show. I may try sanding down the pup cover, where it inserts into the body. I think the problem is the SCN covers are a much thicker plastic than the stockers.

6. ghindman

ghindman

Feb 10, 2006
    Problem solved - I was able to use a utility knife to shave the covers down enough to fit in the stock route.

What a PITA.

7. I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN ABOUT BEIN A PAIN, EVERY BASS I HAVE IS BLACK. I WAS DISAPPOINTED WHEN THE DAMN THING DIDNT FIT BECAUSE I HATE WORKIN WITH WOOD.

8. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    MiM Jazz pickups are not standard size. They are also both the same size.

9. ghindman

ghindman

Feb 10, 2006
    Early MiM Jazz Pups were same size. After ~2001 they used the same longer bridge pu as MiJ/MiA.