1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Damn fleabass again!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Thelowendfunk, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Thelowendfunk

Thelowendfunk

Dec 22, 2011
    UK
    Hey all,
    Again, my fleabass is being a total ......

Okay, so, I replaced the tone pot in it and it seems to be making a difference but im not sure if it is the difference im after. The volume control seems significantly lower than it was when the tone pot wasn't working and if I turn the tone up, it seems there is a giant increase in volume... Any ideas? Maybe a miracle?

2. fenderphil

fenderphil

Sep 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    make sure all your grounds are connected?

3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The tone control should only be removing treble from your sound. If it's changing the volume than something is wired incorrectly.

4. Thelowendfunk

Thelowendfunk

Dec 22, 2011
    UK
    It seems to be... alright for now. The volume still does very little... With tone turned all the way down i have to turn my amp up more to get more volume but if I want to turn the tone up, i have to turn my amp down because for some reason, the tone seems to work as it should but the volume of it is just way to loud and incontrollable. So I'm sort of having to compensate for one or the other, one at a time. I think I'll be able to just go about playing with volume and tone turned all the way up for now until I can afford and EMG pickup which is a popular mod to fleabasses anyway.

Thanks for suggestions anyway!!

5. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The bass is not wired up correctly. You are missing the ground on the volume control, and the tone sounds like it's not wired right.

Instead of getting an EMG, just take the bass somewhere to have it wired up correctly. It shouldn't cost you more than about $30.

6. Thelowendfunk

Thelowendfunk

Dec 22, 2011
    UK
    Okay so, you were right about the wiring. All the wiring between the pots are correct, but! The four wires from the pickup were burning through their casing. Also, the red and white were soldered together and the black was soldered onto the pot and the yellow was soldered onto one of the connections of the pot. My dad is pretty sure summits wrong XD do you know?