Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Damn... Gassing Again! What to Do?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cúl-Báire, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Well I thought I had found the rig of my dreams- turns out I wasnt quiet right in that regard, and my even infact be after soemthing totally different.

I not long ago brought my rig, a Gallien Krueger 800RB of ToddTood here on talkbass... I love this amp, it sounds great, but it's rather heavy, especially when you add the weight of the Step Down Transformer I am running it off. Once again Great Amp though.

My Cab is an Ampeg SVT410he, now this sounds pretty good AT LOW VOLUME, once you turn it up, if your playing gets rough the cab gets distorted, it certainly doesnt handle anything lower than a low G any good. It sounded so great in the store... :bawl:

So now I am stuck with facing what to do- I want soemthing smaller, and something lighter, but soemthing thats clear and focused without being the distorted mess that is the ampeg cabinet. And I need some money, my bike needs new drivetrain parts so I can get back into racing, and the missus and I are moving at the end of the year to Tasmania so she can continue her studdies, so money is abit tight...

I'm looking at Gallien Krueger or Eden as a source for amps, something round 400 / 500w @4ohm, the 700RB II and WT400 are obvious choices. Each of these run bout 500USD...

Now for the cabinet, I'm lost for what I want, The Ampeg is big and heavy, I dont want that, but I want to keep a warmish / vintagesque tone. I have a 12" driver a Delta 12LF that I plan to make a cab out of, I could easily buy another and make a 212 similar to that made by Avatar quiet cheap... Nothing too big though, as Tasmania is small, chances of finding a band there are limited. :meh:

Should I stick with my current rig, and bare with it or should sell it and work on getting something I like much more?... I mean I'm not in a band in the moment and the Ampeg just isn't right for my style of playing.

Any Ideas would be helpfull.
    -Cul

2. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    An Eden head would probably satisfy you. I know I'd probably have one if money was permiting.

As for cabs... you honestly cant expect a modern say Ampeg SVT cab to be your dream cab, unfortunately. Give a run at a higher brand, such as Schroeder, Bergantino, Aguilar, or Eden. Availability might be a tough issue for you though.

3. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Sounds to me like you have essentially answered your own question. Why stick with something if it's not working for you, especially if you have the means to go in another direction?

I use the the 700RB-II and have had great luck with it. I also use the GK SBX series cabs but I'm not sure they would be what you are looking for if you want something smaller and lighter, but they sure do sound great at any volume level.

4. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Get yourself a WT550 and a 212XLT!!!! Budget permiting of course..... Get the 4ohm 212 and you'd be putting all 500w through it. It's only rated for 400w but you'd be fine as long as you were carefull... Sounds awesome and looks the shnizit too!!!!

The 4ohm 212's should be available out here sometime soon ( I'm kinda wishing I'd waited to get them for my rig, I got 8ohm cabs but they still rock ) and I got mine for approx $1600 which isn't too bad for cabs out here!!! Surprisingly light too!! Very punchy, ols school sound to my ears anyway.

I guess it depends on what you can get for your current gear..

Peace

D

5. Hi Damn,

Yeah I am really really kicking myself now for not getting the 212XLT, I tryed it out and loved the sound but desided it was too expencive for me. Damn.... I quiet liked the Eden 115XLT too.

I'm working on this smaller 12" cabinet, if that goes well I may well just build a 4ohm 212, an extra speaker is only $250 AUD, and the wood doesnt cost all that much extra- So keep an eye out for an Ampeg SVT410he on ebay folks... I might keep my head, and get something smaller in the future.