1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Damn I'm dumb.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by 4StringLoser, Jan 24, 2012.

1. I was refinishing my bass yesterday, when a family member, who shall not be named (but shall be punished) Yanked the ground wire clean off the control plate while having a curious inspection of the guts under the control plate. :eek:

to put things in context, I don't have a soldering iron, I am a total electronics noob, and don't really have enough money to buy a soldering iron.

I understand the concept of the ground wire, but I don't really understand what effect it has on the workings of the bass, as in will the pickups work without the ground, will I die/explode if I try to play it whilst connected to my amp?

It's not that urgent, given that I rarely play plugged in due to whiny family and neighbors. :meh:

Sorry for being so damn dumb..
    it's just one of those things I've been meaning to learn, but never have. :bag:

Thanks,
    Josh

2. Get it fixed. Pay someone.

3. Now that's something I'm morally against!
    but, in all seriousness, I don't really have enough money to pay someone else to do what I could probably do, If I knew how.

I can probably borrow a soldering iron from my work, but I wouldn't have the first idea what to do.. :help:

4. dece

dece That would be me Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    Google it

5. Nightsun

Nightsun

Dec 22, 2006
    Essex, UK
  6. That article is exactly what I needed, many thanks :)

off to the stores to get a soldering iron! :hyper:

7. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Don't be so hard on yourself. At least your bass didn't fall over and break a headstock or something. This is an easy and relatively cheap fix. ;)

8. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    replace "dumb" with "inexperienced".
    I'm with you - my soldering isn't pretty, but it all works.
    Good luck.

9. tried that, but I couldn't find a simple article referring to WHY the ground wire was necessary.

10. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    it is necessary because without the ground you may experience a lot of buzzing, and potentially feedback. unless you are using EMG electronics, then you dont need a ground wire to your bridge.