Damn it not again!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Ahh jeez, righty, here goes. My band are playing a gig, and I offered to let my amp be used, as it's running DI into a PA< and it's a small gig, so it won't be pushed hard. Anyhow, I had been using an EQ pedal into the Sansamp, with the itnention of going DI from the sansamp. Well now my amp is in use, I thought I could get rid of the EQ pedal(after all, it's one more thing to go wrong). So i was fidning some good settings, and found that the SVT settings with a little less presence and the treble flat were pretty damn good. However. i then EQed my amp, and found I liked a lot of mids. However, when I stepped back to evaluate my tone, it sounded thin. So I boosted the bass. Now If I dig in, I get overdrive. Now, this only happens if I dig in, I cna play ligher, but when I'm rockin with my band, I might dig in without realising it. My gig is n Saturday. Now, should I just try and carry on finding a good setting, or go with the warwick, which I know works and doesnt overdrive my amp, or stick with my Euro LX and hope for the best? :(
  2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Calm down. Take a step back. And just use something that sounds good.

If your tone is perfect, then you have nothing to strive for anymore, right? So just set it up with a decent tone, and play.
  3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Try turning down the "level" on your SansAmp, and turning up the master volume on your amp to get your same overall volume. Do this in small increments until you can "dig-in" without distortion...
  4. Hmm, I tried what you said Slater, and it didn't work. I'll just have to use the amp at a lesser volume. Can't wait to get my 4x8. That'll draw the full 250watts from it.
  5. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    What about turning down the volume control on your Spector and then compensating with the level on the amp. Perhaps combining that with Slater's suggestion could prove useful.
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Oh, for crying out loud, Nick, just sell the damn Sansamp!
  7. LOL!
  8. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    +1 Amen, brother Brendan.

Edit: also, watch your language next time.
    Edit2: also, from the sounds of it, your just asking way to much of your amp, post pics of your settings, I'd love to see them. Boosted bass = waste of power.
  9. Sell the SansAmp and invest in amp with some more oomph. But I'll be honest- in all my dealings with those BDDI's, I've NEVER had a problem with them getting overdriven, and my Warwick has a seriously hot preamp. I think you may just be ripping too hard on your bass.
  10. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Here's your problem. Lower frequencies carry a lot more energy that high frequencies. Boosting them causes a chain reaction down the signal path that can lead to distortion in several ways.

The laws of hysics say that by boosting lows, you're robbing amp of usefull power. I other words, the amp expends so much energy reproducing the boosted lows, it runs out of puff when trying to reproduce all the other frequencies. This can happen at both the amplification stage, and at the preamp stage. I suspect you've got it happening a little bit at both.

I can also create a distortion problem at the speakers. Though I don't think that's happening in your case, it's worth mentioning.

OK so lets step back and look at exactly what your EQing was trying to achieve, and lets see if we can get there another way. EQ is about balancing frequencies against each other. For example, boosting everything (Bass,Mids,highs) at once doesn nothing but increase your volume.

To me it looks like you boosted mids, then boosted bass to compensate, leaving the highs to plod along at a comparably lower level. To get the same result without increasing the signal strength, try putting the bass and mid knobs back where they were and try further cutting the highs instead. Then it's a matter of playing with the pre and post levels to get the volume/tone combo that you're after.

If you try hard but can't get there, then it might be time to re-thing your speakers, maybe by adding something that produce more lows naturally. This leaves you free to boost the mids at the amp but leave the lows where they were, maybe even cut them depending on how much bottom end the speaker produces.
  11. My money says this doesnt make it past 4 pages.

Any betters here?? :D
  12. I can't fault your reasoning, and I like the idea of a law of hysics. If you do nothing and it hisses, that's because of the law of hysics. ;)

Seriously, wasn't there a thread some time back that talked of dialling back the bass, setting the tone you wanted, and then dialling up the bass to give it some warmth? That might be worth trying here.
  13. Makes me wonder what the laws of hersics say...

I agree with all of this and also wonder if perhaps the preamp in the bass is the problem (battery getting low??)...
  14. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    My money says that posts like this are half of the problem in escalating these threads to the point of needing to be closed. Unless you have something useful to say, don't try to be funny; all it does is make the problem worse.
  15. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Damm, I need at spel checkerer.
  16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, there goes two-thirds of my posts.
  17. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
  18. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses &amp; Cort Basses
    Or, alternatively, just cut out all the 'extras' and find an amp that your bass sounds great going into 'direct'!

It's worked for many thousands of other bassists... including many on here!
  19. Well, in a previosu thread someone had mentioend using an extension cab to handle the mids, while the 1x15 in my MAg 250 handles the low end. Would this work? I'm thinking of a 4x8 extension cab. Thanks to all the people who added HELPFUL replies, much appreciated.
  20. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Why not just a 2x10.

There's a ton of different 2x10's out there and they'd give you the mids and definition that are missing from a 15. It seems like a 4x8 is a bit...um....odd a choice for a 'basic' rig.

I won't point out that new gear isn't always the answer...you can usually get what you want outta the stuff you have if you get to know it really well.