1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Damn, JT - I'm impressed!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Oct 22, 2001.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Wowzer!

I stopped at CG today, and noticed they had three of the inexpensive Conklin seven-strings on the floor.

Once I determined that they were in fact musical instruments and not aircraft carriers :eek: , I sat down with one for a few minutes.

John, I'm amazed that you went from a four directly to a seven. I can honestly say I now think seven strings are a totally different instrument than bass!

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, thank you. :D i agree with your opinion, too. 7's really do seem like a whole 'nother world compared to 4's.

3. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Speaking of Which....I'm back into 7 string mode...heck for 800ish I can get a GT-7...but I dunno, straight from a 4 to a seven.

Whadda ya say JT? Should I go for it? I mean, I've tried and I know i like the GT-7s. 7 strings is just kinda intimidating. But hey, Maybe if I grow a mullet too...:D

4. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    what's the tuning for a 7 string?

5. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    JT uses F# - B - E - A - D - G - C, but you could use whatever you wanted - if I played a seven I think I'd rather have a high F than a low F# personally.

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Actually, he has some with a low f#, and some with a high E (he tunes the top two strings B-E like a GEEETAR).

I think he even has one that he has set up E-A-D-G-B-E-A. I'm sure he'll chime in here at some point.

Call it a hunch.

7. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    interjection-

he has 2 7s tuned f#-b-e-a-d-g-c (the blood bass, the koa necked one)

the rest are tuned b-e-a-d-g-b-e

8. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again - never listen to a single thing I ever say.

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, my ears are burnin :D

actually, i got my 8's tuned f#-b-e-a-d-g-b-e, and my 7's tuned f#-b-e-a-d-g-c, b-e-a-d-g-b-e, and e-a-d-g-c-e-a.

so y'all were wrong. get it straight, there'll be a test. :D

10. i tried one. teenagers and 40 year olds all gasping at the sight i'm trying to figure out a blues line in F#!