damn loud guitarists.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by paul_mccartney, Feb 25, 2001.

1. I need to compete with a loud guitarist (with a 50W amp and overdrive) and (occasionally) a loud drummer. My little 15-watter doesn't exactly cut it.

The thing is, I'm kinda strapped for cash at the moment. The most I could pay is about $200.

I figure that, to elevate my sound to make it loud enough to tell the guitarist who's boss, I need at least a 50W amp. The only >$200 50W amp I could find is a Rogue, and I've heard enough about those to stay away. :)

I've been scanning eBay for awhile, and I've haven't found anything cheap yet loud enough.

So what do you think: do I visit all the used guitar stores in a 50 mile radius around my home, wait until I have enough for the real deal (which could be months), go for the Rogue, keep waiting for the sweet deal on eBay, or ... what?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
  2. I don't think a 50W amp is going to do you any good. Unless you are playing through the PA. In the long run you will be better off saving up for more power. If your competing amp for amp with a guitar player I wouldnt show up with less than 350w. Now you could ask the guitar player to back off a little but we all know that wont ever happen!
  3. Wow, Paul McCartney, really!? I can't imagine you having money troubles unless you've been giving it all away to PETA. Seriously, don't get less than 100 watts, otherwise you will be purchasing another amp much sooner then later.
  4. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    It does seem to be the case that guitar sound travels better than bass sound, therefore, you need more power to play at the same level. With your guitarist using 50w, I would suggest going with no less than 100w. Your $200 will buy you a Gallien Kreugar RCB 200 amp head and a 1x15 cabinet if you shop around.
  5. kotym

Nov 26, 2000
    So Cal
    15 watts will get you nowhere ...

Save up. I bought a SWR Basic Black for $300 out of the local calssifieds. I've seen them go as low as $250, but lord knows what could be wrong with them. As for mine, it just has some minor buzzing from the 15" speaker at high volumes. It's rated at around 120 watts and is almost sufficient with a drummer. If I could do it over again, I would've saved up for a head and cabinet set up. I find it hard to believe that the thumping from the speaker cannot affect the circuitry inside of a combo amp (though I'm sure the designers have figured that all out). But at my skill level, I think this amp is perfect for now. I suppose I will eventually sell it and upgrade to something louder.

Oh, one thing, there's a phenomenon that occurs when you're buying stuff without really knowing exactly what you want. And that's accumulation. You end up owning a whole lot of junk and running out of space to store all the stuff. Always do your homework and talk to a lot of people. I always buy used because of the deals. But the risks are that if you don't do your homework, you will end up buying something you don't like that doesn't work. Also when buying used, always keep in mind the resale value unless you're going to buy a 'keeper." What I bought isn't the greatest amp, but it has the SWR name so I'm hoping I will be able to sell it for the same amount I bought it for. And if you talk to the right people, you might find out about something that is somewhat obscure but considered by people who know as a fine piece of equipment. Go for those. There are always hidden treasures. I bought my bass, a Fender Jazz Bass Plus, with a small practice amp, cable, and gig bag for a $100. The bass itself can go for $400 on a good day.

Anyway, sorry for all the ranting. And I wish you good luck on your search. But I'm afraid that you're stuck with 15watts for now. Perhaps you can find someone who can lend you an amp to use until you get your own.

Oh, I would stay away from E-bay simply because you can't test drive the equipment before you shell out the dough. If you can, take someone who knows and go shopping thru the classifieds.

Again, good luck!
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Kof, kof, kof ... mumbling ... you need at least 300 watts ... KOF KOF!
  7. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    save-up a little and find a used Peavy "Combo 115" (210w 15") around $250-300 used or even better for "cutting through" live, a Peavy "Combo 210" (same amp but 2-10"s + tweeter) ~$300ish used. Tone-a-philes with $thousands to spend on gear don't like peavy, and if I won the lottery I'd trade my Peavy in. But when your on a budget nothing beats the bang for the buck!
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I would recommend an even cheaper Peavey. Find a used TNT 130, TNT 150 or TNT 115. These have 130 LOUD watts and are built like tanks, I have one that is 20 years old that I finally retired last month. The only bad thing about these and the aforementioned Combo 115 is that they weigh like 120lbs. HEAVY!

It was my main amp for about 14 years, and I played in a hard rock/metal band with a LOUD drummer and only needed to go through the PA on outdoor gigs.

I have seen these as cheap as $150 used, just check it out and make sure that everything works and the speaker doesn't rattle or buzz. If you find one with a BW(Black Widow) speaker, that's a bonus. The BWs are much better than the standard 15.

Heck, I would sell you mine if you lived in Dallas, except that it has a short in the power cord and you have to mess with it to get it to work sometimes.
  9. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Even If I'm not completely "Munjibunged" yet, I say you need at least 200W to be comfortable if your guitar player is loud, and you don't want to ruin your sound by playing your 100-150W all cranked up.
  10. bassguy187

Jun 27, 2000
    Nazo, PA
    nah f**k it,
    get an ampeg svt cl all tube 300 watt monster,
    and an ampeg 8 x 10 cab,
    you won't be dissappointed.
    and have a nice day
  11. ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    nah, just make your guitarist play in the other room :D

gbrooks, how's c.c. so stylin working out?
  12. I got a Peavey mk VI head on ebay for 160 inc shipping.

I got a Peavey forum bass for 110 inc shipping on ebay. I stripped it to natural wood, and after some tweaking it plays as well as basses 5 times the cost.

I am looking for cab, but you can get old 2x15's or peaveys for well under 200.

Old Acoustic/Sunn heads form the 70's can be had cheap.

Forget combo's - save another 100 or so and buy a a head/cabinet.

Also, overdrive pedals help cut through as well ;-)
  13. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    He's okay... Made a major improvement on Saturday. I think because the drummer was there and he and I were rockin out... CC seemed to develope extra desire to learn the pieces better. Once he picked up a a couple of the songs it was a fun, fun jam. Also, his new rig sounds much cooler than the old Peavey. Maybe it's just the cab. I am sure that 4x12 by Ampeg is not cheap. It's nice to play with a real drummer... adds something to the music. Hey Sam, check out my mp3s on my website. Please let me know whatcha think. Your input has been helping a lot!!

How's things with you? Today is Tuesday!! Maybe I can make it to your Tuesday Gig. :) Gotta chat with the wifey about that.

Welp, chat witcha later... I bow before your ultimate poginess!
  14. Compete with a loud guitarist? What a trivial thing.

Why changing amp? Change the guitarist.
  15. metalloid

metalloid Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2001
    I say get one of the carvin pro bass amps. I dont know how much they really cost, but I know they about 100 watts and have a little tweeter in them.

What kind of guitar amp is it? My crate 100 watt guitar amp farts out when I turn it up past half way.

I have seen the older crate BX100 amps for $279 at guitar center, they were replaced by the BFX series...a waste.

Good luck
  16. I won a 50W Peavey amp on eBay yesterday. (I checked eBay right I posted).

Anyway, the 50W should be enough to at least divert attention away from the loud guitarist ever so slightly (I kind of exagerated about the loudness bit, but he does like turning it past 5 :))

Especially if I can get him to turn down the damn overdrive. :)
  17. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Guitarists too loud? Go figure! I have just the solution for ya'...

Wanna borrow my Fafner and 4x10 for an evening? That'll shut 'em up! (Just kidding BTW...it's not for loan):(