damn singer! (longish story)

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Peter Squire, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Heya

Just got home from one of our house gigs at a five star hotel. As usual, there was a very small audience and not much response. In my town, 5-star hotels charge so much for their drinks that its almost impossible to bring your crowd with you. Last night we played another of our regular gigs and had people lining up to get in - it's a small but fantastic pub, with great owners and patrons. We always pack out the place. It's weird to play to a packed venue one night and then play to almost no one the next, but thats the job.

So after the gig tonight at the 5 star hotel, the guy who booked us starts talking to the singer. "You guys play at the "***" and always get a crowd" etc...

Anyway, just as I walk into the conversation, I hear the singer listing off how much we get paid at every venue we play!!! Obviously, we charge the 5 star hotel for more than our other shows because they pay a base rate. I could have smacked the singer, because now I have been asked to meet with the F&B Manager to discuss our terms with a view to negotiation. :mad:

It annoys me because I have always been the business manager for the band, because its what I am good at. All the guys in the band are more than happy for me to deal with this side of the business, but the singer is just a kind and chatty guy. He got fooled by the manager into revealing our other business dealings, not really his fault. A stupid slip of the tongue will now cost each member of the band about $100 a show.

For all those players out there who are new at this game, a simple word of advice - never discuss business deals with anyone.

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Can't run the old, "this is the price you agreed to" line...?

After all, a different gig is a different gig.
  3. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Ouch. I'd be having a *serious* word with the singer about that one. Seriously, how are singers so stupid?

4. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    No problem.

Take any price difference out of the singers pay.

Let's face it, the cat is out of the bag. Will you ever be able to get a decent paycheck from that hotel ever again? No matter what band you're in?

Let the singer chew on that for a while.

5. Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Bring a stapler with you to the next gig, and after the set is done, staple his mouth shut. There ya go.
  6. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Duct tape is the magic adhesive strip that fixes all band problems. Tape the stupid bastard's mouth shut after each set. After the gig and the loadout, tape up the rest of him and throw him into the trunk with the equipment. Let him stew a few days. When you set him free, let him reach into his back pocket for his wallet, and see that you duct taped the difference in your pay out of his. Problem solved!!
  7. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Option 1. The truth.

"The price is the price. take it or leave it"

Option 2. The Lie.

"Look. My singer is a moron. We play X for $100 less because THEY have a crowd and we get a cut of the door that is above and beyond the contract price my moron singer quoted you. If you want to drop your prices so we can get our crowd to come through the doors, we'll give you the same deal if we get the same 50% of the door we get everywhere else"
  8. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Southpaw - Perhaps another solution for you is to beat the guy senseless with your Kirstie Alley Signature Boat Oar Bass...........
  9. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA

10. flea-bass

Jan 30, 2004
    yeah take it out of the singers pay
  11. Craigle

Craigle "Careful with that joke, it's an antique!"

Mar 10, 2004
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Could you try the old "Yeah, that guy has no idea what me make, he doesn't handle any of the business stuff." Might be worth a shot if you make it look like the singer has no idea what he's talking about with the band finances (he obviously doesn't if he revealed that kind of info). :)

Best of luck.
  12. Well, my plan now is to tell the guy at the 5* that the other venues pay us according to long-standing agreements which were made with them. Its the truth, anyway. I have a firm belief in honouring financial arrangements with club owners who have taken a risk on us. We don't work through an agency so some venues won't even look at us. I think that the ones who have given us a shot should get a decent rate.

Its also true that in the last 12 months, our band has grown to a point where the fee we charge at the 5* would be standard for us. It's hard to argue that though, because our crowd won't come to the hotel and pay $9 for a beer.

Anyway, I'll sort it out, even if it means we don't get the gig anymore. It's not a huge loss when there's no one coming to see us anyway ;)

And as for my Kirstie Alley bass, it's too pile-drivingly heavy to swing at anyone...... :D
  13. Try telling the club owner that you haven't been paying the singer the same rate as everyone else, he's new, he doesn't play an instrument, doesn't provide any part of the PA, whatever. You told him the band's getting paid less at those gigs because its easier than telling him HE"s getting paid less. He's since proved he's pulling his weight, and he's getting a full cut at this club. That's why he "thinks" the band's getting paid less at the other clubs.

And tell him to keep his dumb ass quiet from now on, gees, nothing worse than telling a bar owner "Wow, you're paying us way more than everyone else in town does". Is this guy retarded or something?

14. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Most likely! :rollno:

15. RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    Well you are talking about a "singer".