Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

damn those guitarist;s

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by the_bassment, Dec 22, 2005.

1. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD GUITARIST;S TELL THEM THAY BASS SHOULDNT US PEDALS MY GOD DOES THAT ANNOY ME.
    IM A BIG USER OF PEDALS AND MY GUITARIST WAS TO
    (CONFLICT OF SOUNDED GOOD SEND US IN DIFFERENT DIRECTIONS)YET HE THOUGHT I SHOULDNT BE ALLOWED TO USE PEDALS.

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Your guitarist called. He said you can use pedals as soon as you turn Caps Lock off.

3. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    You guys read my mind :p either that or he's very emotional about the subject :eek:

4. YES THAT BOTHERS ME, BUT IF THE OVERALL SOUND IS BAD WHEN THE BASS AND THE GUITAR HAS EFFECTS, THEN I WOULD NOT USE EFFECTS

5. HAS ANYONE ELSE SEEN THREAD;S WHERE PPL USDE CAPS AND TY[PE BADLY OMG THAT ANNOYS ME!1,!?

6. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD NOOB;S TELL THEM (INALLCAP;SOMG) THAY GUITARIST SAYS BASS SHOULDNT US PEDALS MY GOD DOES THAT ANNOY ME.
    IM A BIG USER OF proper English AND THAT POST WAS TO WRONG
    (CONFLICT OF READABILITY SEND US IN DIFFERENT DIRECTIONS)YET HE THOUGHT I SHOULD HAVE EYES SCORCHED.

7. Just a shot in the dark here, but could it be that your guitarist is struggling with the onset of puberty? ;)

8. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Translation

Has anyone else had guitarists tell them that one shouldn't use pedal? Gosh!!! That annoys me. I use pedals a lot and so does my guitarist. Our sounds conflicted each other. Yet he thought I shouldn't be allowed to use pedals!!! I was overcome with righteous indignation.

Translation ends

So my answer would be

Please don't butcher the English language, please use lower case letters and look up the words

discussion

compromise

teamwork

synergy

9. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    No the guitar player in my band haven't told me NOT to use effects like overdrive (which I use a lot, if not all the time)

But I have asked myself the question a lot of times: do I need this? It's not like you can hear the bass overdrive when two highly distorted guitars is playing aswell :)

Judging from this soundclip: New stuff it sounds like I don't really need any overdrive, no? The bass seems where it should be, in the background making up the rhytm with the drums. Feel free to comment my tone (or track if you want to)

I'm using overdrive in the chorus parts and the bridge, but you cannot hear it - can you? :)

Anyone else with this feeling?

10. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    That track has made me start to reconcider distortion as well.....

Your tone does seem clean. In my experiments with my newly accquired wah I acctually liked using a clean tone with it as a bass/treble filter. Might try lower dist settings :eek: before I do anything else with bass dist.

Maybe exxxces should be left to the guitars :meh: (which I also play...)

11. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    Nope. It's for that reason that when the guitarists go way over the top with distortion, I tend to go the other way with phase, flange or chorus, or stay clean. Exceptions being when we play "Sunshine of Your Love" or "Iron Man" when OD is a requirement. :D

BTW. Nice tone. Thick as H*** but not muddy or boomy.

12. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Thanks man! Guess I can thank my sadowsky preamp for that tone :D

But yeah - I guess that if you want to "cut through" the wall of cranked JCM800 amps with boost and **** you have to think in another direction like you do with phaser, flanger or chorus :)

We're still fooling around with the distortion sound on the guitar, mind you! So theres a chance that I will start using my two "steps" of overdrive again. But for now? Nah, I'll stay thick and clean behind the wall doing my stuff! :bag:

This is actually a good topic, although the starter did seem a tad frustrated at first ;)

Happy x-mas to you all!

13. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    It's a challenge to use bass effects effectively.

Down in the bottom of the harmonic series, it's far easier to get muddy, as we all know. Even up where electric guitars play (still around middle C for most chords), the sound can easily get muddy, but they have a little more leeway. Plus, effects "affect" their sound more due to the midrange nature of the instrument.

IMHO, my favorite bass tones are always clean. Otherwise, they sound like guitar tones to me.

Or maybe I'm just not REALIZING that some of the bass tones I like are distorted...?

Synth bass is always fun, though. MOOG!

Sorry, folks, I'm tired. Too much Christmas shopping today.

<falls over>

14. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Translation:

My guitarist just suggested, rather rudely, that I as the bassist should not be using effect pedals. Has anyone else experienced this? My, such insinuations do bother me.

I do enjoy the judicious use of effect pedals, as does my guitarist, and we each have a growing collection. Upon realizing that our respective effects occasionally have a tendency to clash, however, he concluded that I should never be allowed to use these effects, implying that his guitar should take precedence.

15. I THINK HE STOP USING EFECTS TOO ITS ONLY FARE!!

16. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    This is why being in a band with only one guitarist is so much better, you have far more room sonically for effects and you tend to stand out better. We alternate between having a rythm guitarist and not, we can't decide lol. Anyway, I'm still too cheap for some decent pedals but my guitarist keeps nagging me to buy an OD and an envelope filter. Guess I'm just lucky then.

17. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    +1 on this :)

18. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    +1!!

I love playing rhythm and bass at the same time!

I have the problem in that I love my tone 'clean' (really, it's clean with reverb and most of the time chorus), but I also love using effects for color. So... I solved the problem by buying a second amp :D :bassist: I have an amp with spring reverb, and an amp with all of my effects.

I tell ya.. I loved my bassballs before I did this.. I love 'em even more now!

19. bob04

bob04

Aug 5, 2005
    Stourbridge, U.K.
    its the complete oppsite in my band, i have one mulit-effects of which i only use a few of the effects on it, however both my guitarists have loads of effects that they never need or use so me and my drummer end up sitting there at practise while they faff about setting up lol.
    But i don't see why a bassist couldn't have more effects, its all about personal taste, maybe he's just jealous.