1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Damn Whammy Pedal screwed up everything

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JimmyM, Apr 21, 2009.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    So I started spec'ing out what I would need in a board with all the to...er...pedals I'll want to use. Dig this...I'd need 29 inches across!! If I lose the Zoom B2 (it would be an optional add-on anyway), it would be 23". But that Whammy Pedal would take a good 8" of real estate. Without the Whammy or Zoom, I could do a 16" board. That's doable.

Problem is I freaking love the Whammy Pedal. Could I do without it? Looks like I might have to. There's no way in hell I can have a 23" pedalboard. Man, this sucks. I brought myself right back to where I didn't want to be...with a big giant pedalboard that I know is going to go down on me in the middle of a show and make me look like a douche.

But I guess I'm going to have to do without it. I don't have a question...just wanted to rant. This was supposed to be fun. Now it's not. Stupid Whammy Pedal! Why did it have to be so cool???

EDIT: And no, don't ask if I'll trade the Whammy for something else. I'm keeping it regardless.

2. p4toda

p4toda

Aug 10, 2008
    At the middle
    please post some pics.

3. Brm

Brm

Apr 17, 2009
    What whammy pedal is it?

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    It's a IV. No way I'll pay what people want for a Bass Whammy or a Whammy I.

Sorry, too lazy to do pics right now, plus I don't have everything yet. When it's finished, though, it will have:

Two X2 wirelesses
    EBS Microbass II (for when I double on upright, which is most of my gigs)
    VT Bass
    Nano Small Stone
    Micro Pog
    Ibanez AF-9 Auto Wah

The more I think about it, the more I think I'll have to make do with the Micro Pog.

5. If you're worried about it going down during a gig, why don't you get a small bypass loop for the whole thing. Then you could cut all of the pedals out of your chain if something went wrong. Just an idea...

Matt.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Not a bad idea, either.

7. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Big +1 to the TBP loop for the whole thing. I should really be doing that, but so far nothing catastrophic has happened to me other than someone changing a knob on one of my pedals during a break. Nice big volume boost on my fuzz freaked everyone out and made me smile. :D Moral of the story: Never leave your stuff unattended! :oops:

As for the big board issue, are you lining up all your pedals in one row? You should be able to get them on a smaller board if you have them in two rows I should think. I've got a whole bunch of effects crammed on a PT-Pro. ;)

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Nope, two rows, but the Whammy requires both rows, and the Zoom probably needs 1 1/2 rows.

9. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Ah. You have the Microbass II on there as well. Didn't see that. :oops:
    Might want to think about a case with wheels to save your back, or invest in a cart to wheel everything around. Makes life a whole lot easier. ;)

10. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    The Boss LS-2 would also do the trick for about $50. Two loops, buffered so no clicks or pops, and the ability to blend and control the level of each loop. I picked one up a while ago and have been recently trying to work it into my set up. Cool pedal for sure, lot of possibilities with it.

11. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    And, just why the hell not?;) I know you like to keep things simple (me too), but it's too late for that now. You're in way to deep. A few more inches isn't going to muck anything up.

I understand the sentiment, I really do, but if you're going to be using pedals at all, why not use the one's that you like?

btw, I agree with the looper pedal. It's like a 'Get out of jail free' card.

btw part II---I see you have the AF-9 up and running. How do you like it?

12. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    what are you using the zoom for at this point? i bet you could lose it for something more compact...

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Nicky, I kind of feel like you're right, but it so wasn't my intention to do this, so naturally I have reservations. And the AF-9 isn't working yet. Hopefully soon.

RC, I will be ditching the Zoom...only effects I'd ever need it from it for now are fuzz and delay/reverb, and I really don't need either of them. Thought I might hang onto it just in case, but nah...I'll just bring it if I need it, which would probably be one or two gigs a year.

14. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Wasn't it just a few weeks ago that you said you were done with effects, and now you've bought a Whammy of all things! That's the trouble with you kids, you never stick at anything. :p ;)

15. why don't you split your boards? 29 inches across? split that mother in half, say, 15 inches per board.

Or, alternatively, the whammy could sit seperate and be wired in and then carried seperately in it's own bag.

16. If you carry a gig bag anyway, would using the wah wah on the floor, off the board, in conjunction with the board, be an option?

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I'm a ****head. What can I tell you?

Nah, if I have to keep it, it will definitely be integrated into my board. I hate plugging in wires at the gig. And I thought about the two board thing, but that means carrying two boards ;)

I'm high maintenance, I guess.

18. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    Just do it Jimmy! Get a big a$$ board and cover that thing in kiss my a$$ red tolex! You'll be a bad mother!

19. Well, if oyu're worried about the power cutting out, then you have 2 options:
    loopmaster make some great all-bypass loop selectors, so if anything went wrong, then you could just hit the bypass and you'd be in business
    OR
    Get a gig rig, whoich does pretty much the same thing. Flippin expensive, though.

20. Jimmy, isn't your main gig supporting Bowser from Sha-na-na? You do really have any use for the Whammy? If not, just leave it home :) !