Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Damn you ads!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SpankBass, Nov 7, 2002.

1. All right, there is a program on my computer called "Xupiter" that I cannot get rid of. Its cause all the general nuisances like popups and changing a "broken link" type of page into some advertisement and not letting my get back to the main page.

I've tried deleting it, but it won't let me, it flahes some sort of error message but it goes away too quickly for me to read. And I've also tried Ad-Aware, but it also did nothing.

So how do I get this thing off my computer?

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    What operating system have you got?

If you have W2K or XP you can do the following.

Go to the registry (regedit.exe) and go into the following key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run (or RunServices)

There you can see what programs are loaded during startup. If you see a registry entry pointing to this program there, delete it. Or if you want to be safe, rename it first and reboot, check out if this program starts.

But always use caution whilst messing with the registry.

3. There are two regedits. One in the Windows folder, and one in a folder called "i386."

I'm guessing I need to click on the one in windows, but is the other one of any importance?

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Just go to Start-Run and type regedit there.

5. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

For someone who doesn't know what they are doing, messing with the registry can be VERY dangerous. One false move and your whole computer system will be done. If you want to go and do this, be extremely cautious. I would recommend getting someone to help you before trying to mess with it yourself. Besides you can see what processes are running by hitting control alt delete and going to your task manager and going to the processes tab. Spank bass if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself feel free to send me an email with more details and I can try and help you.

6. Deleted the registries relating to Xupiter, but I still can't delete a part of the program called "XTUpdate.dll"

I deleted everything else, but I'm assuming that having this program still on my computer will come back to haunt me. Any tips on how to get rid of it?

BTW the error message I get says something like "Cannot delete this file becuase it may be in use blah blah blah" I really don't have too much time to read the message before it dissapears.

I checked my running processes and I can't find it.

7. Too late! :D

Computer hasn't fried yet, and I even resetted it. So I think I'm in the good.

God this feels like that first time I adjusted my own trussrod. Everyone told me how I am going to ruin my bass, but it actually turned out to be an easy process. ;)

8. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    OK, now since you´ve deleted the registry entries regarding Xupiter, try to reboot and see if you can delete the file then.

If that does not work, go into regedit again and go to Edit-Find (ctrl+f) and do a search for XTUpdate.dll. See what that turns out with...

9. The reset didn't work, but I found the XTUpdate.dll in the regedit, but I want your advice before I click the delete button. I found the file in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Classes/CLSID/whole buncha letters and numbers/ImprocServer32.

The file is named (default) but the data reads C:/program files/Xupiter/Updates/XTUpdate.dll

Another file in the same folder is named "Threading Model" with the data reading "Apartment." But I don't think that has anything to do with anything, but you never know.

Your advice before I proceed?

10. Hmm I also found more Xupiter nonsense under that same bunch of letters and numbers in folders called "ProgID" and "VersionIndependentProgID"

11. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    hi, i had one of them

The program vanished after my pc was reloaded with windows milllenuim (im no pc whizz sorry), so maybe try reloading windows?

it turned out that id got it as part of the user aggreement to downloading a flash crack, which i never saw in the aggreement due to impatints. However, aftert he reboot (is it?) i went to download it again, and the term 'you aggree to install and run 'program name' caught my eye. I decided id do without the crack, and got a copy of flash instead:p

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  13. Maybe you could try reinstalling the program first. Sometimes it will overwrite the partial uninstall and let you try again.

Then you might want to follow Blisshead's suggestion and use Ad-aware. I have it on my computer and got rid of crappy Gator Corporation spyware.

14. I had that stupid program pissing me off for a couple weeks. It was easy to get rid of though...I deleted a bunch of useless programs at once, and though I can't remember what specifically I did for Xupiter, it was one of these:
    - Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs, and Xupiter was on the list
    - It had an uninstall program in a folder called Xupiter, which was either under Program Files or Windows.
    I have Win98, so that might not be too useful for other operating systems, but I know I didn't have to bother with the Registry or anything like that. Good luck.

15. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    The worst ones are the ones that when you click "close", a ton more come up. Popups really piss me off!

16. Um...probably the easiest solution: Go to xupiter.com, click the FAQ link at the bottom, scroll down a bit to "How do I uninstall one of your software products?" Click the "uninstall here" link and run the program. You should now be able to actually read the 404 error pages when you mistype an address instead of being instantly tossed into that damn search engine... :cool:

17. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    i had a problem w/ popups once. Go to www.analogx.com and go to the bottom of the page. there should be something called POW!. Download that. everytime you get a new popup, you add it to the "to kill" list, and whenever you get it, it will automatically delete it.:D

18. Yes actually,
    I also looked in the add/remove programs thingy and I couldn't find it.

And I don't know how it got on my computer, so I can't download it and try to uninstall it.