Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Damn you Ian Anderson

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I really want to get a flute.

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

My 3rd grade daughter had to practice her 'school-supplied' recorder (plastic peice of junk) for an school recital. So I encouraged her by learning to play all of the songs on that stinkin' peice of junk myself. The result: she got way better at it too because she didn't like me hoggin' the instrument and she prcaticed without being told.

I also learned that "do-Rae-Me" song on that recorder from; "The Sound of Music".

Now I want a decent one with good tone just to work with for ideas.

3. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    My old keyboard player had a pair of recorders that he played simultaneously on the intro to one of our songs. It sounded a lot like the keyboard part in Stairway to Heaven. Then he got a pair of penny whistles. I guess the learning curve wasn't too steep, because he got the hang of them very quickly. They might even have the same fingerings.

Things really got cool, sonically when he would play a recorder and a penny whistle simultaneously. It's hard to get the volume levels even-ish, but it sounds amazing.

He also wanted to add a pennyrecorder (the two together, What would YOU call it?) in between verses of another of our songs that he was already playing a harmonica break on.

4. About two years ago I learned to play the flute part on Song For Jeffery and recently got around to learning Cross-eyed Mary on trumpet. Not hard stuff really , just had to make some minor adjustments being that I was playing on trumpet instead of flute.

5. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    My sister has a flute that she never plays. I've tried to play it numerous times, but to no avail. It's a lot harder than it seems. This is coming from a bass clarient player, also. Flute and piccolo are really totally unique when it comes to the way their sound is produced. IMO, it's a difficult embrochure that takes a lot of practice. Kudos to them flute players.
    -Alex

6. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The band I'm playing with right now has a sax/flute player, and we cover Locomotive Breath! :bassist:

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Truth be told, I'm wanting to use it more in the Nik Turner (Hawkwind) sense, used with other ambient elements. I'm just really obsessed with Hawkwind right now.

But, Ian Anderson made the flute cool... the man is not human.

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Ian got all his tricks from Roland Kirk...now THERE is a guy to check out :hyper:

Of course, Ian claims otherwise but since he covered Kirk's "Serenade To A Cuckoo" on the very first Tull LP, I don't take him too seriously :p

9. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I suppose it would take grunting into a flute to make it cool, eh?

10. …but didn't Rahsaan Roland Kirk learn all his tricks from Dick Heckstall-Smith? ;)

Well (to keep on topic) damn him anyway for failing to credit "Bouree" to J S Bach (on the album and on the music it's credited to Ian Anderson…)

- Wil