Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Damn you Samash! (Big Muff review)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by protoz, Feb 23, 2005.

1. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Added to the Review archive: Here

I recieved my Big Muff today expecting it to be the green one shown on the Samash site. I tear open the package to find the Black Russian Big Muff instead without the awesome wodden box :mad:

I heard this pedal is just about as good so I take it upstairs to my rig and just toss on some random setting before I turn my amp on (sustain at about 2:00, tone at 11:00)

Holy crap this sounds awesome! I play a few licks that I was thinking of using the pedal for and I found out I need to learn to mute a bit better on some of the faster sections to keep is clear.

I then looked up some settings on here and took tplyons settings and went at it. Much better sounding and I don't lose as much bottom or clarity! I upped the tone a bit for my 1x15 to get some of the mud out but after that I was jamming along to Anesthesia and sounding pretty close I thought. All I need now is a wah and I'm set!

My only gripes so far have been:
    No wooden box!
    The 1Spot Battery Clip Converter didn't work but every pedal I have hooked up to my voltage selecting wall wart hasn't worked so I'm not too mad about it.

Any ideas on an AC out that would work? An EHX one? Boss style?

I'm looking forward to trying this out in practice tonight and our gig Saturday!

8/10 (no wooden box mostly)

It kicks the snot out of the ODB-3 I have, that's for sure

2. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    You are lucky to find a distortion that you really like. Some of us search for years and still end up disappointed. Congratulations on your find and post back after you've had it a while. Sometimes the new gear excitement wears off and things don't sound as good as they used to. I hope this doesn't happen to you..........

3. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Yea the review is a little preemtive as I haven't gotten it into the mix of my bands but I'm liking what I hear over the ODb-3. So we'll just see how it goes.

I know I'm not done for buying distortion pedals as each one sounds a little different but this is just what I needed for one band at least to fill in the space for the 3 piece I am in during solos and to get my bass to sounda little more agressive.

I found that turning off the tone knob sounds pretty good with sustain at 11:30. Just such a responsive pedal that has allowed me to get chunky to very thin, which I may have a use for as well.

Still curious on what I need to get that adapter to work though.

4. I think you need one of these:
    [​IMG]

3.5mm (1/8") Converter (C35):
    * Allows the 1 SPOT and MC5 cable to power Electro-Harmonix, older DOD, and other pedals that require a positive tip 3.5mm (1/8") plug

They sell them at www.visualsound.net, www.musiciansfriend.com, and other online retailers.

5. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    That's what I was looking at earlier but I wasn't sure, I have the BatteryClip converter already from VisualSound as the Black Big Muff doesn't have an AC out built in. I was trying to use the Batterclip converter but the power supply I hooked it up with didn't work

I might have to fish around for one in my house that no one is using to see if that will work.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    A Standard BOSS Power Supply with the Visual Sound 9V Battery Snap adapter should work. Did for me.

7. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Yea I finally found out the problem with my adapter. It has on of those detachable heads without markings for which is + and - so I flipped it around and it worked like a charm

8. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    After a few days with the pedal and after taking it to a gig I am still happy about the pdeal but it's uses were more restricting that I thought. It sucks a lot of my low end out even with the tone rolled off.

I'm more than likely going to mod it so I can get more bass out of it, maybe calm it down a bit too

9. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
  10. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Yep sure is, but it is the black Russian model and not the green one. The pedal is very cheap and very strong. I think samash has a good return policy as well

Good pedal but limited usage in my music right now except to fill space in solos.

I did use it during one whole song last night (last song figured might as well) and it sounde pretty nice.

11. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    Wow... that is dirt cheap. I'm going to have to check out other toys on here and compare prices. Bassball pedal for $76! That's $5 off my shop's price which was already like $8 off musician's friend! wow.

12. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    I don't think they've made Russian Big Muffs with the green case for a while now. All of the new ones I've seen are black (and there seem to be slightly different case sizes - my black Russian Small Stone is a slightly different size from my black Russian Big Muff).

13. You know, its REALLY strange that It didnt bring the wooden box... thats kinda their trademark... something that signifies that the pedal you bought was an original...
    Either way, if you're happy with it, and got your warranty papers, etc. no biggy.
    I got one of those too, and IM very happy with it... for bass or Guitar. I was pleased when I plugged in my guitar this weekend and the Muff wailed pretty well with it.

14. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Ooh, what's them?

15. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Mine didn't come with the wooden box either, which was kinda disappointing. :meh: Oh well, other than that, I'm pretty happy with it.

I've been using it with guitar too with some good results. :bag:

16. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    tplyons setting I found in the search I did was tone around 4 and sustain around 4 as well then volume as you need it.

I found that having tone around 2.5 gives a little more of my lows back.

The Double Muff looks like a pretty cool little pedal that is supposed to be even fuzzier than a single Muff

17. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    It's the same price too... odd. I'll talk to people and see which is better; I have a sweet bass player at Guitar Center who can help me.

18. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    Yea, I hate to say it... but I think they're getting away from the wooden boxes. My recently bought Bassballs USA came in a white cardboard box that had the mock pedal layout on it, just like the wooden box. I still have my Big Muff box, but... we may be coming to the end of an era...