Damn you verizon and/or samsung

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Davidoc, Feb 17, 2005.

1. How often is a phone supposed to break in a 6-month period? First it turns on, then immediately starts cycling off, and won't stay on for more than an split second-replaced. I'm in college, and that coincidentally happened when I was home. Now it just broke again. The earphone speaker broke. It still rings, the interface functions fine, and the mic works, but I can't hear anything. How useful is that? I can't get home to have it replaced, and I rely on this phone for everything.

Some things just have to work, and when they don't, I get very upset. Sorry for the rant.

(PS: this one wreaks of crappy electronics/shoddy wiring; it sometimes starts working enough if I squeeze the area around the speaker.)
  2. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Had my Nokia for 3 years, no problems.
  3. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Which phone do you have? It's really not verizon's fault, but it would be Samsung's if they made your phone. I have a Kyocera slide phone with Verizon as my provider, and it works like a champ, and it's been through quite a few times (sky diving, falls on street bikes, falling off my amp, then off the stage etc). Did you contact verizon and/or samsung about it? A lot of times you can send it in and get it fixed in short order. Or you should have a dealer near you that you can take it to. In any case, good luck :(

4. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    You should have a one year warranty on your phone from the manufacturer. check with wherever you bout your phone about sending it or contact samsung direct

(ex-radio shack worker)
  5. Nikehawk

Nikehawk Guest

Jul 29, 2001
    Yorkville, IL, USA
    IME - Samsung is suspect.

I have Verizon, and I do routinely hear everyone else complain about their service. I would personally recommend either a Motorola (ok signals) or an LG phone (excellent signal).
  6. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'm lovin' my Verizon LG VX6100.

brad cook
  7. Thanks for the replies guys. It probably is Samsung's doing. Why I mention verizon is that the first time I had to have it replaced is that it seemed like a software problem, and a friend of mine with a verizon LG phone had the same issue, so it might be verizon-software, although I'm not sure. I'm also sore that they charged me $50 because I was missing some .2c rubber piece that doesn't do anything. They make money off of having phones break.

There is a warranty, but I think you have to do it in a verizon store, and you have to be the account holder. (been there, done that, but I was home when it happened) I think there might be a verizon store in harrisonburg, but I'm not sure, and if I did, I'd have to be able to forge myself as my dad (with his permission of course), which may be possible as I can get his ss# etc from him, but I'm not sure. I can't go home until spring break which isn't for a few weeks. I think I can live that long with the phone like this however. I do rely on my phone for everything, but if I squeeze part of the phone it seems to start working for a few minutes, so I can sorta-sometimes work around the problem.

I thought I loved Samsung. The HD in my computer is by Samsung. The floppy drive is Samsung. The CD burner/DVD drive is Samsung. My monitor (It's a pimp monitor too, syncmaster 172X, supposedly the best for games, and great overall) is Samsung. Needless to say, I am dissapointed as this phone has proven to be of exceptionally poor quality. Did I mention how dust accumulates in the frong lcd panel under the protective panel? It's impossible to get it out, so the dust has been accumulating steadily since I got it, and it's now very difficult to read the display. On the one that was replaced, same model, the buttons got really sticky and hard to push. I can't believe they'd sell such garbage. The phone is an a530S, btw. [​IMG]