Damn you verizon

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Davidoc, Aug 17, 2003.

1. If you're ever debating what to get in terms of high-speed internet, cable is the way to go. It's worth the extra money. Verizon charges you to fix it, and probably won't even fix your internet when it messes up but will charge you anyway because they're really ****ty. They make up BS and blame your house when the problems are always on their end of system. I know many people who have cable. The beauty of it? It's fast, and it ALWAYS WORKS. I'm sorry, but 50% just isn't good enough.

Now, the alternatives arent' always pretty. Cox cable is trying to charge $69 a month (including modem rental) plus $135 for installation??? That's double what we're paying. I guess you get what you pay for.

Then i see this add for comcast on TV. I call them up, and they charge $45 a month including modem rental... sounds like a good deal. too bad northern VA isn't their thing, damnit!

Verizon seems like a good phone company, but they're internet's messed up. Stay away.
  2. Gotta love Optimum Online :D Also just got iO Cable to go with it from my regular 90 something channel cable I had. Gogo Cablevision.
  3. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Don't hate DSL alone because of verizons crap. Bellsouth DSL down in my area, and probably most other, not all, Bell divisions are 80% up and running properly. Cable can have just as much downtime.
  4. Yeah, sorry, I didn't mean to trash all DSL service. I know it's a localized thing, and other areas may have great dsl or cheaper cable. I was just really angry when i posted that.
  5. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    No problem, I understand.
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have Verizon DSL. Never had an outage, never had a single problem. I have had it for almost 3 years.

FWIW, Comcast cable sucks big time, in the Dallas/Fort Worth market. I know a lot of people who say that they have outages all the time.
  7. (happy) bellsouth dsl user here, just got it about 3 months ago. its currently the only broad band service offered around here but so far so good, even if the speeds arent the greatest (my download is usually 100-200 kbs per second, which is still a LOT better than the 1 or 2 with dial up)
  8. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    My DSL service through SBC was pretty reliable, but I had similar bad repair charges/experiences. Come to think of it, SBC is one of the purest forms of evil I know -- heh, it's like if their employees woke up one morning and found they were working for the North Korean government, they'd like, never notice anything was different...

9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I've got (basic)cable and internet for about $50.00 a month.
    But, it was more $$$ before another company came in and offered those rates. Comcast came to the door "hat in hand", I showed them the competition's flyer(cable & internet 49.99 a month), they capitulated.
  10. Oh my god. Why don't I live in texas??? $50 for both??? Wow, that's amazing. Better than the $70 here for just internet.
  11. Not only is the service now only $30 a month, but they fixed it without charging us anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The inside wiring guy came and said he coudnl't find anything wrong, but then the outside wiring guy came and did some unorthodox splicing method to make it seem like we were closer to the source and now it works great!!!!!!!!!

It's been on for two days now without dropping in speed or disconnecting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :)