Damnation Audio MBD-1 vs Smallsound/Bigsound Mini

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MetcalfBass, May 25, 2019.

1. I currently run a Fender p-bass through a SVT-VR and 212 cab with an always on Fairfield Barbershop to get some tubey grind at volume levels that won’t get the cops called. I use a TFR to cover for any fuzz/muff sounds. What I’m looking for is an overdrive that will play nice with the tubey, grindy tone I’m getting from the SVT/Barbershop while giving me another level of useable distortion/dirt.

The top contenders right now are the Smallsound/Bigsound Mini and the Damnation MBD-1. Has anyone experienced both? Thanks in advance.

As reference for what I play: Toilet Bowl Love, by Metcalf

2. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    I have the Ss/Bs Mini and I love it. It stacks really well with other pedals and you can get a lot of tones from it, from OD to gated fuzz. It's really a great pedal and one of my favourites.
    I have ordered a MBD-1 that's still in customs. When it arrives, I'll be able to compare both.

blindrabbit and gregmon79 like this.
  3. Russ Frost

Russ Frost Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Texas!
    I have both Smallsound/Bigsound Mini and the Damnation MBD-1. Both are good pedals and can give you more dirt options, but they are quite different.

The Mini does the mid-range crunch pretty well and the bias knob gives some pretty interesting tone options. To me the lows seem a bit muffled and the highs can get harsh, at least in my rig. There is no blend knob, so there is no good way to blend in a clean tone to recover the lows unless you use an additional blend pedal The MBD-1 really excels at low end, articulate distortion. You have separate clean/dirt volume knobs to blend to taste. Also you can control how much low frequency is included in the dirt channel pre-distortion which gives some ability to change the character of the distorted signal. If anything the MBD kicks too much butt and I have to reign it back in before it scares off my guitar player.

Given the you already have the Barbershop, there is a fair amount of common ground between the Barbershop and the Mini. If you are looking for something different, the MBD-1 would probably be the one that has more options to offer beyond what you have going already.

kbakerde, gregmon79, Fuzzbass and 2 others like this.
  4. Thanks for the input. At this point, the MBD-1 seems inevitable...

5. jumbo_steelie

jumbo_steelie Supporting Member

I had the full size [email protected]#k, and as awesome as it was, it's no MBD1. The MBD1 just kills, and I've heard it sounds monstrous through an svt on it's own.

6. I can second this, MBD->SVT-VR->810=thunderous tones

7. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I’ve had both. The mini is pretty cool, but for me it didn’t live up to the TB hype. The MBD-1 definitely lives up to all the hype. It’s a great bass pedal.

8. Pulled the trigger on a used MBD-1 I came across for a great price. Damn. Does not disappoint at all. Exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks everyone for the input and advice.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  9. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Helltothemuthaf*&%inyeah!!!! \m/ \m/ \m/

Fuzzbass likes this.
  10. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    Mine is still being processed through customs.
    Can't wait to put my hands on it.

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

The MBD-1 ended my search for a pedal that delivers light, medium, or heavy dirt without coloration. The Grizzly Bass also did that well, but... long story short, the MBD-1 works even better for me: it's so easy to dial in.

I also like my colorful pedals, but can't use them for every situation (I play a bunch of styles with a bunch of bands). I can always get an appropriate tone from the MBD-1.

Nunovsky likes this.
  12. freedomryder

freedomryder

Nov 21, 2012
    Seattle
    I really wish there was a "mini" version of the MBD-1.:)
    I use and love the SS/BS Mini, but it has its limitations (as has been noted above).

13. The Mini is one of my all-time fave dirt pedals. Never cared much for the MBD-1. If you like it though, that’s awesome! :thumbsup:

Nunovsky likes this.
  14. I have both the MBD-1 and the Mini on my board. Use the Mini for OD and the MBD1 for grind and/or full blown distortion. Fantastic pedals both, but I think you made the correct choice going for the MBD-1 in this situation.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021