Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Damned Slap Tone...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Osama_Spears, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Welp...I got my new amp and im testing out some slap stuff and cant seem to get a good sound out of her...

here's what im dealing with:

Ibanez GSR190
    Behringer BX3000T head.

the head has Bass,Low-Mid,Mid,High-Mid,and Treble.
    it also has on/off options such as Bright and Deep.
    My bass is P/J combo with tone...I dont think I left anything out.

Anyways,any help on getting a decent slap tone(gear wise,ill handle the technique ;)) is greatly appreciated.

2. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Well, what strings do you have? Brighter strings definately impove slap tone.
    The main thing you should do is boost the highs, cut the mids, and boost some lows. Make sure your amp has alot of headroom.
    GK and SWR are amps with great slap tone. SWR has a more hifi sterile sound where GK has a slightly growlier more middy(not muddy) sound when flat. But the 700 and 1001RB heads have a coutour knob that'll scoop the mids out for a fast transition to slap.

3. I think I tried scooping mids and putting the bass to 10 and the mid-high to like 3 o'clock and it sounded like crap.

I plan on getting a new bass,and new strings this christmas,so im sure that'll help : D

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I see two possible problems:

Ibanez and Behringer. Try eliminating one of them at a time and see if you can get the tone. ;)

5. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
  6. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    NOT to turn this into a gear slamfest, but I was thinking of the Avatar... Now, I'm a BIG Avatar fan, but the horn - or possibly the crossover - is just not conducive to a good slap tone, IME. :)

All that said, the BEST answer lies in making the most of the equipment you've got, rather than putting all the blame on the gear. :)

7. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Have you messed with the Shape function at all? That might be able to help you get your desired tone.

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Hey, I DID wink . . . . ;)

9. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    :D

10. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    I had pretty much the same setup except that I had the regular Delta 210 cab. The key is in the shape knob. Activate it and turn it to about 2 o'clock. Turn your mid control to 10 o'clock. High mid stays at 12 so does your low mid. High is at 1 and bass is at 1. Hit your deep and bright switch if you lack punch and sizzle. Make sure your tweeter is not up too high. The avatars tend to be a little harsh at higher settings.