Damon Rondeau -- Host With The Most!

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Sam Sherry, Jun 13, 2004.

1. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Damon --

First, thanks again for all your work. Wow! Second, I'm not in a position to comment on the bluegrass piece, but I hope others will.

Your jazz tune shows a lot on the ball. Your basic pulse is strong and metronomic. You play in tune, which is more than I can say ever. The changes are always clear. In short, the foundation is well in place and you are no doubt welcome wherever your bass appears.

The thing that's immediately noticeable is that your notes are short when you walk. You're going BOOMP BOOMP BOOMP which, as I vaguely recall, is standard bluegrass practice. Not to mince words, it's getting in the way of your jazz groove. If you played the same lines BOOM BOOM BOOM it would swing a lot harder.

I am not saying that there is never a place for space between notes. For example, it's highly appropriate when you're playing the same note twice in a row to cut the first one a bit short.

But it seems that work on this aspect will bring quick, noticeable results for your playing at this moment. See what you can do to make your notes as long as possible, for now. Try working on a very slow blues -- say, Parker's Mood at 60 for the quarter -- and you'll want to make those holes close up!

WHAT SAY? Best, SAM
  2. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    I say I think you've been talking to Steve Hamilton, my teacher! It's the number one thing we're working on, I think, in my jazz playing right now.

It's funny, I can hear that long quarter note when I'm listening to somebody else walk but I don't seem naturally to hear it consistently in my own lines. I have to concentrate to make 'em long, and that's critical brain bandwidth I need to play the changes in tune!

Thanks for the generous comments, Sam. I'm a newbie at playing jazz, but I'm starting to feel these days like it's opening up a bit for me. It's a nice feeling...
  3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    What Sam said!

To play legato, practice legato. I might even recommend that you get the slab out and run some scales slowly and legato.
  4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Maybe I can provide some peer feedback on your bluegrass tune, "Cut It Loose". To start, it's good to hear somebody breaking out of the I-IV-V box in this genre and you obviously don't feel locked into riding I-V notes through the changes. I'm personally finding it a little tough to create interest without overplaying on bluegrass tunes, since it's all about groove, but you do it well. You also keep the groove well, even though your banjo player seems to be pushing and pulling the time quite a bit. Your solo tone is very nice, too, but I'd have liked to have it bumped up in the mix some.

Thanks for getting this tune up, Damon. Maybe it'll get some other players in this or related styles to contribute.
  5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Friday night I downloaded *everything* on the site. Spent the weekend listening, and listening. Lots of really nice stuff. Thanks for hosting it Damon, and thanks to all who submitted material. I like it!