Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Damp amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassmanUK, Dec 20, 2005.

1. bassmanUK

bassmanUK

Dec 16, 2005
    Tamworth UK
    Hiya all,

We did a gig on Saturday where I was almost dead from flu, however I battled through. At the end of the gig I went home with my bass and let our guys put my gear on the van (any other time it comes home with me).

We had a gig last night and I couldn’t get any decent volume at all, after a certain level it just farted/distorted on the lower frequencies, the higher frequencies complete disappeared into the mix and were very quiet.

I removed all my effects, switched off the EQ and adjusted the VU pre amp where it usually is, very occasionally just touching the red but most of the time well out of the red. That didn’t help, even plugging into the effects return with the bass, or with my Line 6 pod pre amp didn’t help.

Im using an Ashdown MAG300 210xT with a 1x15 MAG cab.

Im wondering if the damp may have got to the cab in the van overnight? Im in the UK and its bloody wet and cold here just now. Would damp cause these problems? If not does anyone else have any ideas?

Any other ideas?

2. bassmanUK

bassmanUK

Dec 16, 2005
    Tamworth UK
    By the way, my gear is now in my house, at a sensible distance from a radiator!

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Maybe your ears are just plugged ;)

It's possible for the dampness to cause things to go ka-flooey, most definitely. Dry it out really good with a hair dryer and then try it.