Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dan Armstrong bass .. opinions please.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BlackyH, May 23, 2005.

1. BlackyH

BlackyH

Jan 1, 2005
    Hi there,
    I've just been over my uncle's house, ... hes always been going on about a bass he has in the attic. Well today i bothered to go and take a look. Its a make called 'Dan Armstrong" and it also says 'London' on the head stock. Hes had it for years but doesnt know much about it. A cool looking feature is the pick-up which slides on a rod attached to the body.
    Does anyone know anything about the quality of it? A quick search on the internet linked the bass to Ampeg.
    thanks!

2. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    They're cool basses. Not that easy to find either. Not the best playing basses but they're definatly decent instruments.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Is it the acryllic one with the clear body or the wooden one? I played an Acryllic Dan Armstrong (1968 I believe) and it played like butter and sounded phenominal. If it didn't weigh something like 14 lbs. and cost $1200, I'd go for it. I've been itching to get one for a while now.

4. BlackyH

BlackyH

Jan 1, 2005
    Its the wooden one, I've seen pics of the clear one, but I'm not much of a fan of that look. How much do you think the wooden one could be worth?

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Depends, are you ravaging through the attic looking for things to play or things to sell? If you're going to play it, it's priceless.

As far as a market price goes, I'm not sure how they compare pricewise to the acryllic ones, but in good shape those go for around $1500 I believe. I think you're definately looking at a $1000+ instrument.

6. BlackyH

BlackyH

Jan 1, 2005
    Wow, I had no idea. I may have stumbled across a gem after all. I'm currently playing a Danelectro bass like this one:
    http://www.shreveaudio.com/danelectro/dcbassblack-front.jpg
    I was actually thinking about selling it for something better. Any ideas how much I could get for it? I'm sure it wont be enough to convince my uncle to part with the Dan Armstrong, but hey, as long as he doesnt read this, I could be onto a bargain :bassist:

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Aw come on, you don't want to take advantage of your uncle, do ya?

That Dano could get you a couple bucks, but I'm not too sure. I'm no expert, but I'd love to have one to play with.

8. BlackyH

BlackyH

Jan 1, 2005
    I'll do what I gotta do haha, from what i've been reading, it deserves to be played.
    The Danelectro is actually a leftie version of the pic i linked. Its been professionally converted to right-hand. I find since its upside down, the volume controls get in the way a little, but apart from that I quite like the twang to it.
    Anyway, I havnt had the chance to hear the Dan Armstrong plugged-in. I think i'll start off by asking if I could borrow it to play at a gig.