Dan Armstrong bass with sliding pickup

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BobMoore(UK), Feb 8, 2006.

1. BobMoore(UK)

Feb 8, 2006
    I have a Dan Armstrong mahogany bodied 4 string bass guitar with a single sliding pickup (not the interchangeable ones on the lucite models) and one volume and one tone pot. I can find very little info on the internet about these, but I believe they were made in the early 70's in England when Dan Armstrong moved over here. It has no serial number, as far as I can see. It's in good condition (not perfect, but a few small dings) and plays fine. Does anyone out there know any more about this guitar, or its value, etc? Any help greatly appreciated!
  2. actually, i remember starting a thread asking about that bass model as well...might you be able to post a pic?
  3. BobMoore(UK)

Feb 8, 2006
    Some pictures attached (hopefully!). What do you think?

Attached Files:

4. very cool...i am sorry i don't have any info on that bass, but i recall asking about that bass when i heard that Dan Armstrong made a bass with a sliding pickup...i still think thats a cool idea...
  5. Pretty darn cool in my book! I'm suprised you don't see modern day versions of this bass around... Unless you want to consider that Variax territory.

6. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Sorry, I don't know anything about it.

But, it's pretty cool. I'm gettin an almost Ric-like vibe off it.
  7. PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Jack Bruce had a similar bass in the mid 70's, he's pictured with one in the booklet of "The Jack Bruce Band Live '75" doublecd. I first thought it was a Hagström but now I know.:)
    Jack also had a fretless acrylic Dan Armstrong bass.