Dan Armstrong bass with sliding pickup

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BobMoore(UK), Feb 8, 2006.

1. BobMoore(UK)

BobMoore(UK)

Feb 8, 2006
    I have a Dan Armstrong mahogany bodied 4 string bass guitar with a single sliding pickup (not the interchangeable ones on the lucite models) and one volume and one tone pot. I can find very little info on the internet about these, but I believe they were made in the early 70's in England when Dan Armstrong moved over here. It has no serial number, as far as I can see. It's in good condition (not perfect, but a few small dings) and plays fine. Does anyone out there know any more about this guitar, or its value, etc? Any help greatly appreciated!

2. actually, i remember starting a thread asking about that bass model as well...might you be able to post a pic?

3. BobMoore(UK)

BobMoore(UK)

Feb 8, 2006
    Some pictures attached (hopefully!). What do you think?

Attached Files:

4. very cool...i am sorry i don't have any info on that bass, but i recall asking about that bass when i heard that Dan Armstrong made a bass with a sliding pickup...i still think thats a cool idea...

5. Pretty darn cool in my book! I'm suprised you don't see modern day versions of this bass around... Unless you want to consider that Variax territory.

-ryan-

6. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Sorry, I don't know anything about it.

But, it's pretty cool. I'm gettin an almost Ric-like vibe off it.

7. PhR

PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Finland
    Jack Bruce had a similar bass in the mid 70's, he's pictured with one in the booklet of "The Jack Bruce Band Live '75" doublecd. I first thought it was a Hagström but now I know.:)
    Jack also had a fretless acrylic Dan Armstrong bass.